• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Howdy Howd hey!

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Coolboarder368
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Redondo Beach

Howdy Howd hey!

Post by Coolboarder368 »

Just stopping by the forums. Looking at getting myself a 94' Albin Convertible right now. Has a Peninsular with 450 hours (rebuilt), 1,100 hrs total on the clock.

Let the long and seemingly two sided conversation begin.. What should I do?!? Im literally on the fence on whether this is a good idea or not..

I'm set on this boat but dont want to deal with engine issues.

Regards
Doug
Coolboarder368
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Redondo Beach

Re: Howdy Howd hey!

Post by Coolboarder368 »

Bump, anybody?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Try typing "Peninsular" in the search box. (Click on the Quick Links drop down menu at the top left of the screen. Search is third from bottom.)

There was a recent crisis re: Peninsulars, but I think they have been picked up by another concern, so parts are still available. There is plenty of discussion here at AOG and elsewhere about these engines. Be patient, owners and former owners will weigh in.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Doug,

A couple of suggestions.

One - do a search on Penninsular as WillieC suggests - there's a lot of info on the forum. And as he mentioned, they are now owned by Unique Diesel who seem to be taking an active interest in continuing to service/supply these engines. http://www.uniquediesel.com/marineparts.html

Two - Pick your sub-forum, and title your post, to get the answers you want. "New Members" and "Howdy Howd hey" is not your best bet. :)

Best of luck on your hunt!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard!

Ditto all the above. My wife's elderly 85 year old aunt lives in Redondo Beach & we may be taking a ride out there to visit some time in the next few weeks.

Hopefully full service & maintenance records/logs came with the boat. 450 hours on a rebuild & 1,100 total hours on a 24 year old engine is not that much, known problems notwithstanding if they've been dealt with & corrected, as a rebuild might imply. But 1,100 hours in 24 years works out to only 46 hours per year average, less than an hour per week in a year round boating environment like Redondo Beach, or 2 hours per week in a 6 month season. Not that much use! Diesels like to be run! Questions to ask: what exactly was done or not done during that rebuild, was regular maintenance performed, why was a rebuild necessary at only 650 hours in the first place, and are those 1,100 total hours accurate? For example, our engine hour meter had 537 hours on it when we bought our boat in 2014 on a re-power installation that had been done circa 1990. But documentation & maintenance logs we inherited indicated the "new" 1986 model engine had at least 2,500 hours on it when the current meter was installed. That meter now has 1,100 hours on it, an average of 110 hours per season that we ran over the past 5 seasons we've owned it. And it's all original engine hours with no rebuild & still runs like a champ at close to 3,500 total hours.

Good luck!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “New Member Introductions”