• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New and info gathering

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
ben2go
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Poseidon's Lair

New and info gathering

Post by ben2go »

After a fall out with a friend that I was trying to get a contract with to build a boat we would both own, I've decided to open my options up, yet again. Building a smaller cruiser isn't out of the cards but I may start with a nice hull and build off that. I had a look at a few smaller Albins both sail and power. I like most of what I saw, weird and funky like me. A few members over on TF have recommended this place over the years so I decided to sign on.

Ben
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: New and info gathering

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome Ben, hopefully you’ll find what you are looking for. I’m not sure about funky, I guess my engine compartment bilge was a bit like that when we bought the boat, happy hunting.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Welcome Ben, You'll probably have a hard time finding an Albin hull or a decrepit complete boat here. These guys love their Albins and don't scrap them out. I frequent TF also but don't post there very often. What size hull are you looking for? Go fast or turtle like most of us? The 27 is a slow hull by design, while the 28 can haul a$$. The 30FC has a pretty quick hull too as does the command bridge versions. Let us know what you're looking for and the guys (and ladies) here will keep our eyes open for you too. Good luck. Ben 27FC # 302 1987
ben2go
Mate
Mate

Post by ben2go »

tego wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:29 pm Welcome Ben, You'll probably have a hard time finding an Albin hull or a decrepit complete boat here. These guys love their Albins and don't scrap them out. I frequent TF also but don't post there very often. What size hull are you looking for? Go fast or turtle like most of us? The 27 is a slow hull by design, while the 28 can haul a$$. The 30FC has a pretty quick hull too as does the command bridge versions. Let us know what you're looking for and the guys (and ladies) here will keep our eyes open for you too. Good luck. Ben 27FC # 302 1987
Mainly looking at the 27FC but anything in the relaxed cruiser area and maybe even a sailboat. I'm not a go fast guy anymore.

True members here take care of their boats. Never know when someone comes across a wreck or salvage deal.
ben2go
Mate
Mate

Post by ben2go »

Mark Deeser wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:16 pm Welcome Ben, hopefully you’ll find what you are looking for. I’m not sure about funky, I guess my engine compartment bilge was a bit like that when we bought the boat, happy hunting.
Thank you. Most bilges are. :lol:
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard Ben!

Building a boat, for instance from Glen-L plans, would be an intriguing and even fun project. Although other than the satisfaction of having done so, I can't imagine it would cost less in materials than buying an existing boat like an A-25 or A-27FC. Not to mention the time involved, and assuming you have access to a yard & shop where you can do the work.

That said, if it were me & I had the facilities (I don't even have a place where I can do major work on the boat I have now), this Glen-L design for a 25 foot tug would be my project of choice. 25 feet to me is a "Goldilocks" size for trailering anywhere you wanted to go without need for wide load permits and a 1 ton dually truck to tow with.
Glen-L Coastal cruiser.jpg
https://www.boatdesigns.com/25-Coastal- ... ducts/802/

If trailering wasn't your thing & you wanted to go with something a bit bigger in length/size comparable to an A-27FC, then this Nordcoaster 27 design might be nice. Either way, knowing what high quality marine grade plywood and other hardwoods, paint, varnish, plus fittings, etc (Glen-L's bronze fastener & epoxy kits alone total over $2,000), plus engine & drive train, and various other miscellaneous things cost, it wouldn't surprise me to learn you'd have close to $40K to $50K invested in either one of these designs before you were finished.

https://www.boatdesigns.com/27-Nordcoas ... ducts/847/
Nordcoaster27.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

If your thinking of building Glacier Boats of Alaska. Great support and pretty simple to build. It will probably be my next boat. It's trailer friendly. But I'm going to enjoy what I have for now. After all the work I put into it.
ben2go
Mate
Mate

Post by ben2go »

I already have a few hundred sets of plans. Currently, Spria International has the boat's that suit my style. I was trying to get a contract going with a long time friend to build 55' Tanuki. It's more boat than I need, but if our ideas had played out, I would have had less than $25,000 on my side of the build as well as him supplying all the wood, driveline, and some other much-needed parts and pieces. Our plan was to hopscotch around the Great Loop, then head north up the northern passage around eastern Canada. I would pretty much live aboard.

Since I am one guy and would like to trailer the boat at times, I will probably go back to the plan I have had for years and build Sitka. I would build the 30' version with the V entry bow.

This one is a built to plans 27-foot version. It was built in Minnesota by Raymond Pollock. He was on the water in less than 10 months. Spira's boats build fast unless you go for the Bristol high-end yacht finish, which I wouldn't.

http://spirainternational.com/tipsandtr ... water.html

Return to “New Member Introductions”