• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New owner of Gypsy- 28 TE - Chesapeake

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
L8apexer
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Annapolis

New owner of Gypsy- 28 TE - Chesapeake

Post by L8apexer »

All, I will first say that I have been lurking for a while and the info on this forum is incredibly valuable. I just bought an engine box 28TE with a Pen diesel. She spent most of her time in Annapolis, went to Va for a bit and now I am bringing her back to Annapolis. I have a two leg trip: Woodbridge to Solomon's Island (6.5 hours) and Solomon's to Forked Creek of the Magothy (3.5 hours). I am experienced long haul boater but this is my first Albin. I would like ask the group what is in your spares kit and tool box?
Albin 28 Tournament Express
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: New owner of Gypsy- 28 TE - Chesapeake

Post by WillieC »

L8apexer? Another biker dude! Welcome.
First of all, you need to figure out how to get at least one of your bikes on and off board. We have the A25 model, so I've pretty much given up that idea. We've been plenty of places where even a scooter would be very handy. Then again, we could use the exercise of hoofing it.

(Serious 28ers will weigh in shortly. I'd expect filters, filters, filters and towing insurance.)
L8apexer
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by L8apexer »

WillieC wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:09 am L8apexer? Another biker dude! Welcome.
First of all, you need to figure out how to get at least one of your bikes on and off board. We have the A25 model, so I've pretty much given up that idea. We've been plenty of places where even a scooter would be very handy. Then again, we could use the exercise of hoofing it.

(Serious 28ers will weigh in shortly. I'd expect filters, filters, filters and towing insurance.)
Thanks WillieC, I swore off two wheels a while ago. BUT the nickname comes from me throwing around a 1986 Toyota long bed pickup at Lime Rock....thats gotta be worth something :D
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I sort of quit two wheels after a miserable ride that pointed me to getting that long delayed hip replacement. Now I go 6 or 7 kts and couldn't be happier. As soon as I get my engine back together that is. Wrenching VWs on my back, kneeling for motorcycles...now working below my feet on a boat. Now that's progress. The next logical progression is working by Amex.

Anyway, all the best to you in your Albin ownership. Your experience is likely way more than many here, so you must have a pretty good idea for what is needed. Not personally familiar with the Pen diesel (Peninsular, I presume?) but there are plenty happy Peninsular owners at AOG. Like any brand..hey, it's a BOAT! Peninsular went through some serious challenges, but I think it has re-landed successfully. Those owners can help with the details.
Last edited by WillieC on Tue May 14, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

. I would like ask the group what is in your spares kit and tool box?
Not sure about the GM motor, but on my Yanmar powered 28TE: Full set of basic tools, inches and mm wrenches, (slammers) full socket set dual metric and US, long and short sockets, extensions, etc. Lots of fuses, flat and glass, starter relay for the Yanmar, (spare starter for longer trips to remote Bahamas) 2 alternator belts, several impellers, diesel filters, etc.
Lots of connectors, electrical wire, Oil, coolant, tranny fluid, and probably a few more things. (Spare anchor and anchor rode on longer trips, excess fenders and dock lines, extra water jugs, extra diesel jugs, big medical kit, handheld GPS, handheld VHF)
Depending on how far from civilization you plan on going?
With towing insurance and anywhere on the US coast, don’t need much, but in the remote Bahamas if bad things happens, you are on your own. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Completly agree with Norseman for heading to the Bahamas. But how we use ours around Southern California tools, fluids, tow bridles and lines, alt belt, fuel filters and misc electrical wire and connectors. If I can't fix it with that I'm calling a tow. Oh wood plugs, screws, nuts & bolts.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Woodbridge to Solomons in 6.5 hrs? Wow! You fast movin' 28 TE guys! Us poor little A25 slow pokes, it took us two days at 6.5 knots to run down the Nanticoke from Blades, DE to Bivalve & across to Solomons. And that's all of about 65 or 70 NM. Woodbridge to Magothy River would be a week's trip of long runs for us at least if not longer. Lots of good stops in Solomons. Several marina in Solomons to choose from. Spring Cove marina is one I like, or just anchor out in front of the Calvert Museum.
DSCN2843.JPG
Bon voyage!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
L8apexer
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by L8apexer »

Thanks all for the tips! Luckily I got the most important thing of all...a BoatUS platinum membership as we ran into a couple of issues along the way. We made great time from Woodbridge to near Solomon's where I shut her down after she started pushing sooty exhaust and I noticed some powerless. Up until then she had run great, cruising at about 16.5mph @ 2500rpm. Next morning in Solomon's we changed the oil and checked her out. Oil level was really high which I suspect is a stuck injector dumping fuel. We were not able to find the culprit at the dock, ran her for a bit to bring her up to temp and all seemed normal. Made it half way up the Chesapeake and the same thing happened, power loss...sooty exhaust and shut her down. Got towed back the whole way to my home dock. I will move this topic over to the diesel forum to get deeper. I do have to give some words of praise to the whole crew at Solomon's Yachting Center they were outstanding during our extended stay. I will recommend anyone laying over at Solomon's to stay there. I would also like to give a shout out BoatUS Captains Mike from Solomon's and Trevor from Knapps Narrow, MD they were incredibly responsive and true professionals.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That's a shame you ran into engine trouble. There's worse places to get stuck with a breakdown than Solomons though. At least you're on the western shore. I'm no expert on diesels, but your take on stuck injector makes sense. Or perhaps clogged fuel return line? Hope it works out for you.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

"a BoatUS platinum membership as we ran into a couple of issues along the way."

We are not sponsors for any tow outfit, and reluctantly have a membership ourselves...but when you need it, you need it. My somewhat flippant remark about towing insurance proved helpful after all. I hope you get your engine issues resolved quickly now.

Looking back at our first run on the WillieC, (we, being brand new boat owners, talked the PO into assisting us motoring it down the Puget Sound in November no less) was beyond foolish given the mechanical condition of the boat. We were very lucky, talk about a ship of fools. There is nothing like knowing your own boat. We look forward to hearing of your adventures!

Return to “New Member Introductions”