• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hello from a new A25 member in Iceland

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
SiggiJo
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Akureyri, Iceland

Hello from a new A25 member in Iceland

Post by SiggiJo »

Hi everyone, my name is Sig - just discovered this forum and thank you for accepting my application to join. I bought my A25 a couple of years ago when I lived in England but when I moved back to my native country - Iceland, I just had to bring her with me. Still upgrading various items - latest one is repowering with 30 hp Yanmar. I look forward to getting to know you all and forums like these are invaluable for tips and ideas. Hopefully I can contribute something useful as well.... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Hello from a new A25 member in Iceland

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome to the form, that is one good looking Albin. Over the years we have done many upgrades on our 27 FC, these little boats are worth putting time and money into. My boat should easily outlast me and then I can pass it on to my 37 year old son. I’d call them one enjoyable investment. Enjoy a great little craft
Plastikosmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rhode Island

Post by Plastikosmd »

thank you for joining
great looking boat and Iceland is one of my top spots to visit. Admiral and I have been several times
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard! Always great to see another Albin 25 owner joining up. Looks like a well maintained boat with the spiffy arch over the wheelhouse & opening hatch over the main cabin. I think you will like the Yanmar engine. Hard to tell from your pictures, but is it a later model DeLuxe with semi-displacement flared bottom or early pre-1972 full displacement model? If you haven't yet installed the new engine I would recommend you look into adding an AquaDrive constant velocity joint & thrust bearing unit if possible. It makes it run very quiet and nearly vibration free, quiet enough to easily hold conversations while running at cruising speed. I've heard it said that Iceland & Greenland are opposites, Greenland is icy and Iceland is green. One of my favorite movies as a kid was the 1959 version of "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" with James Mason.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
SiggiJo
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Akureyri, Iceland

Post by SiggiJo »

Thanks for the warm welcome and constructive comments guys. While my A25 is seaworthy, there´s still a lot of work left to do, but I see that as one of the attractions of owning an older boat. A bit like canvas that you can paint almost any way you want :) The boat is the older full displacement one and she´s happy cruising at around 6.5 knots with the Yanmar doing around 2200 RPM. The AquaDrive looks interesting but maybe for later.... The Yanmar is already bolted in with a traditional flex coupling. I did take the time to get the alignment right and so far, I´m happy with the installation. Yea, they sure got the names mixed up. The story goes that when the vikings discovered Iceland, they liked it a lot and decided they didn´t want too many people to mess it up, so they decided to give it an unattractive name. I guess they opposite goes for Greenland - which is indeed, more or less, one huge icecap... but I was lucky enough to go there and it´s absolutely fascinating in its own right.....
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The boat is the older full displacement one and she´s happy cruising at around 6.5 knots with the Yanmar doing around 2200 RPM.
Sounds like ours, almost exactly the RPM & cruising speed we get.

Our Yanmar installation. I've since repainted the rusty air intake horn.
Yanamar_3G.jpg
Overhead view showing AquaDrive CV coupling & thrust bearing. The best thing about this setup is the thrust bearing takes the force of the propeller & not the engine mounts so the engine mounts can be soft & not transmit vibrations to the hull. Also can tolerate small amounts of misalignment between prop shaft & engine.
Aqua Drive.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “New Member Introductions”