• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Siox12
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Atlanta

Post by Siox12 »

Hi,
I am a new member. We have been interested in the Albin 25 or 27 sized boat. My wife and I are looking for a boat we can trailer. Presently we have a Simmons Sea Skiff (wooden) and a Feathercraft (aluminum).
We boat at Ocean Isle Beach, NC. or inland lakes around the Atlanta, Ga. area, where we live.
I anticipate learning about the Albin boats on this forum.
Kevin
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: New Member

Post by WillieC »

Welcome aboard, Kevin. Take your time, there is a ton of info here. Ask away. There are no shortages of opinions either.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Welcome aboard Kevin. WillieC said it all; there is a huge amount of information here on all Albin models, and dedicated fans of both the 25s and 27s. Don't hesitate to ask, I'm sure someone will have an answer.

From what I read the 25 is easier towing; that said, there are several intrepid souls with bigger rigs hauling 27s around from sea to shining sea. The last time we did it I rented a flatbed behind a Peterbilt (our Subaru balked at the idea).

We've had our 27 for almost 5 years, and really enjoy her - just pottering around the East and West side of the middle-Bay, forever planning the big trip, not-catching Stripers, and just being onboard with either a book and tea or a toolbox and G&T (depending on which of us you are asking) and most recently trying to focus an astronomical telescope from the wheelhouse deck (no easy task).
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Kevin, Welcome to the forum! You'll love boating the inland waters on either the 25 or the 27. I cruised and lived aboard on the Great Lakes and the coast from Lake Michigan, down the east coast to Florida and beyond for 15 years on much larger boats. My current boat. a 27FC, has been the most fun by far- no hurricanes, tide tables, salt water corrosion, etc. The only thing I miss sorta is the seafood. There's a LOT more room on the 27 vs the 25. If you'd like to get aboard a 27' send me a PM and we'll arrange a ride. I boat year'round here and we're only a couple of hours away from you. Just remember that not all 25's and 27's are created ( or maintained) equal. There is a "27 Sport (no aft cabin) for sale up in Cincinnatti, with a good trailer.. The trailers for a 27 run about $7k. I really like my aft cabin though. Keep us informed on your progress. Good Luck! Ben "87 27FC hull #302
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

My wife and I are looking for a boat we can trailer.
A man after my own heart! Welcome aboard! The A25 & A27FC are both trailerable. However, the A27 being larger is naturally heavier, the boat by itself weighing in at about 6,500 lbs, which is a bit more than what the A25 + trailer weighs, and the 27 has a 9 ft 8 in beam vs the A25's 8 ft 6 in beam. Both should preferably be towed with at least a 3/4 ton truck, and depending on local laws the A27 may need wide load permits. A 27 FC would be easier to find on the east coast. Yachtworld has four current 27FC listings, one each in CT, NY, MD, and Ontario Canada. Of those the one is NY is the only one that comes with a trailer and is a 'Sport Express' model which is quite different from the aft cabin "Family Cruiser" version. It will take patience and a diligent search not limited to your local area to find the right boat for you. Good Luck!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Siox12
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Atlanta

Post by Siox12 »

Thank you all for your warm welcome.
Sorry for the delay in reply. I was in the beauty parlor with my wife as she was getting her hair done. I know, I know... only her hairdresser knows about my hair🙂 There was a boating magazine on the table that I picked up and there was an article about Helen and Steve of La Dulce Vita. The article prompted me to log into the forum and read the new posts.
Ben we may take you up on your generous offer to check out your boat.
We would be towing with a 1996, 2500 Dodge Ram. It would be comfortable pulling the 25 or 27 foot I believe.
Will check out the ads on Yachtworld and see what they have. We are about a year or so out as we are building our retirement home in upper northwest South Carolina. Place called Mountain Rest. This is keeping us very busy.
We used to have a boat that we kept at a slip and we don’t want to go down that path again. Though at the time it was the cheapest way to have a lake place. We think trailering is the way to go.
Like you said Ben, “not all boats are maintained equal” we are going to try to get one that has been cared for.

Kevin
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"building our retirement home in upper northwest South Carolina"

Would that be in the eastern section of upper northwest South Carolina?

Couldn't resist, sorry.

Welcome aboard, again!
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Hi Siox12,

The Mountain Rest area is really nice. I have a good friend in Abbeville. I have an A25 in Charleston. She's on the hard in my backyard as I restore and repower her. If you're going to be in Charleston, you're welcome to come by and look her over. Lots of people have "Good" A25's. Looking at mine in her current state, you'll get a real feel for the "Bad" and the "Ugly."

But still, if you just want to see one in person to get an idea of the accommodation size, etc. I'm happy to show her to you, warts and all.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Kevin, We'd be glad to have you as guests. I spent a great day out on the water two days ago. It's been rainy a lot lately but I have a full enclosure so we're good to go anytime. Ben
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

There was a boating magazine on the table that I picked up and there was an article about Helen and Steve of La Dolce Vita. The article prompted me to log into the forum and read the new posts.
Glad you got to see the article. While a Ram 2500 (especially if diesel powered) or any other like size truck could handle towing either A25 or A27, I would think it the difference would be how far and often you intend to trailer vs how long you plan to spend aboard and how rough (or smooth) the conditions you expect to encounter would determine which is better for you. Prices for examples in good condition between A25 & A27 are not that much different. In the east the A27 is likely more common than A25. From our experience it seems A25's are more common in Canada and especially out west in British Columbia.

Our rig looks like this, 2006 Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie Diesel, aluminum trailer. We've racked up over 20,000 over the road miles with this since 2014.
20190615_114110.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Wfmdfm
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Wareham ma

Post by Wfmdfm »

There is a nice 27Fc 1984 for 15k for sale on Facebook Market Place. Norton Massachusetts.
2000 28 TE Yanmar 300 6LP-STE

Return to “New Member Introductions”