• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Volvo Penta MD3C Manuel?

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Albinlover
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Fortman Marina Alemeda, Ca.

Volvo Penta MD3C Manuel?

Post by Albinlover »

Greetings...I recently purchased a 1971 Albin 25 hull number 615 moored at Foreman's Marina in Almeda California. It has a Volvo Penta MD3C. I know it is an old engine but I would like to keep it and keep it alive a bit longer seeing how expensive it is swapping it out to a Yanmar or another deisel engine. Does anyone have a manual or repair manual for this engine or know where I can get one? Where can I get parts for it? If you have a manual, I will pay you for it. Even if it is a general maintenance manual. I would appreciate any info that you may have. Thanks!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Volvo Penta MD3C Manuel?

Post by WillieC »

Welcome aboard, Albinlover.

Try goggling MD1B, 2B, 3B Workshop Manual.

I think you have the MD3B. I am unaware of a 3D. There is an MD17D, similar but different.

As to swapping, how much money you got? There are fine examples of those who have gone to Beta engines, others Yanmars, Sole, whatever, and then there are the poor schmucks like me who have decided to baby these things along. Like I said...how much are you willing to spend, what is your skill level, tool collection, interest, physical stamina, and need for punishment? I am leaning more to the writing checks stage of life, but then I would have missed all this!

There is also a certain level of luck involved, which is really how well maintained is your old engine. Be brutal in your assessment. Get professional opinions. (I fooled around for several days trying to come up with a suitable compression tester and finally broke down and bought a POS from The Cheap Place, all the while knowing full well that a diesel engine I could turn over by hand was beyond its last legs. And it still ran! The gauge lasted long enough to verify two shot cylinders then busted. I took it back.)

These things can bleed you dry, which you signed up for when you bought a boat, so no new news there.

There is plenty of info here at AOG, and other marine engine websites. Take your time exploring the A25/27 section. Check in with your doctor to see if your heart is healthy enough for this kind of activity. And good luck.

Return to “New Member Introductions”