• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member from Stockton, California

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
garyal1
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Currently in Monterey, Ca, soon to be in Stockton, Ca

New Member from Stockton, California

Post by garyal1 »

Hello to all AOG members! I just got admitted to this great resource website, but I have lurked here for the past several weeks as I considered buying the boat I bought yesterday. Part of the reason I pulled the trigger is because of this information I found on this website.

I will post about my boat in a new post.

Boi:

Gary Alexander
Stockton, California
Long time fresh water boater on the California Delta with a few ventures out under the Golden Gate for Salmon.
Recently retired after 40 years in the Can Making industry.
Very excited to be the new owner of a 2000 Albin 35 with twin 370hp Cummins.

I am "chasing my dream" of "chasing tuna and salmon" from San Diego to point Reyes and beyond.

HAPPY 4TH of JULY!!!!!!

BR,

Gary
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: New Member from Stockton, California

Post by nebulatech »

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure you'll see a few more trips under the Golden Gate with your new Albin!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Welcome, Gary!

Can making industry?! My dad worked for Continental Can in Seattle and Chicago, then National Can in Vancouver, WA. I did a couple summers in litho and that was it for me.

What a trip down memory lane, dating back to the 50's! Twin Cummins? You did a LOT better than dad.
garyal1
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Currently in Monterey, Ca, soon to be in Stockton, Ca

Post by garyal1 »

Hi Willie,

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, I worked for American Can which then turned into American National Can, then Rexam. Back then I was a young project engineer. I did some projects in the ANC Vancouver plant in the late 80s and early 90s. Maybe I knew your dad? For sure we covered the same territory. We used to call the boys who retired from Continental Can "Ex-Cons" :-)

BR,

Gary
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

After working 16 hour, 7 day schedules for how many years, dad up and quit one day in 1967. He was the machinist who kept the place running. A blue collar guy who was promoted up the ladder into a white shirt where he got in trouble with the union by making a can line work in Chicago when none of the machinists could. We packed it up, moved back to Seattle, pop bought a gas station, gave everything away, fixed anybody's car for nothing, maybe a beer.. Mom did the books, we all got the measles in 55. My brother got his measles in college. Born in 56.

Dad quit on a Wednesday, was working at the brewery with a pay raise, pension, good insurance, company car and vacation by Friday. Retired as packaging manager when they sold and moved the brewery to China.

We never saw eye to eye. Who of that great generation bothered with such niceties when you have five kids to feed? All my skills, curiosity, perseverance, all things mechanical came straight from him. That's the only reason we could afford to buy a boat.

Thanks, Dad. Sorry it's so late.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Welcome aboard Gary and you've arrived in style! That 35 is a great boat with what I think are a pair of the best engines you can have under the deck. Treat those 6BTA's well and they will reciprocate. I look forward to your Albin adventures.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Treat those 6BTA's well and they will reciprocate.
At 1,800 to 2,600 RPM! :lol:
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “New Member Introductions”