• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Saltydog from LA - Photo of Little Gem

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Saltydog

Saltydog from LA - Photo of Little Gem

Post by Saltydog »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome (and the correction from RicM - I must have had Maine on the brain)! Attached is a photo of our 2007 Albin 28 TE Newport Edition with pilot house that we named "Little Gem" (hull # 927). She is powered by a 315HP Yanmar 6LPA-STP diesel, cruises at 16-18 knots and tops out at 22.5 knots. We keep her on a slip in Newport Harbor, in Orange County near Los Angeles CA, and have made several trips already to beautiful Avalon Harbor in Catalina Island (about 25 miles off shore). We're very happy to be new AOG members and still Swabbies, although just purchased our Tote Bag and hoping for a promotion soon! Looking forward to exchanging solutions to problems of mutual interest. Safe travels, Saltydog
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Saltydog from LA - Photo of Little Gem

Post by jcollins »

I do like the black hull. Once again, welcome aboard. Your tote bag is on the way.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

FYI, there is a Portsmouth, NH and a Portsmouth ME as well. It's easy to understand how the mistake could happen!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Just like there is a Newport, CA, a Newport, OR, and a Newport, WA.
Expoguy
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Dana Point, CA

Post by Expoguy »

Saltydog wrote: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:22 am Thanks everyone for the warm welcome (and the correction from RicM - I must have had Maine on the brain)! Attached is a photo of our 2007 Albin 28 TE Newport Edition with pilot house that we named "Little Gem" (hull # 927). She is powered by a 315HP Yanmar 6LPA-STP diesel, cruises at 16-18 knots and tops out at 22.5 knots. We keep her on a slip in Newport Harbor, in Orange County near Los Angeles CA, and have made several trips already to beautiful Avalon Harbor in Catalina Island (about 25 miles off shore). We're very happy to be new AOG members and still Swabbies, although just purchased our Tote Bag and hoping for a promotion soon! Looking forward to exchanging solutions to problems of mutual interest. Safe travels, Saltydog
I was wondering how long you owned your boat how well you liked it ?
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

Welcome to the forum. It seems that the number of A28's in SoCal is on the rise. We spend a good deal of time at the Island and look forward to seeing you there this season.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Nice boat!!!

Yes, Newport Beach CA. We stopped there once in 2012 on a harbor hop run from Chula Vista to San Pedro & thence to Catalina Island with our Catalina 25 sailboat. That was the last major cruise with that boat before we sold it the following year and got our Albin in 2014. Took a mooring overnight at the Balboa Yacht Club. Things were kind of messed up in the harbor that year, a lot of dredging going on. Of course they stuck us out on the funkiest, slimiest, gnarliest old mooring ball imaginable.

And yes Epoxyguy, we had also stopped at Dana Point both on the way up & on the way back to Chula Vista. Dana was one of our favorite stops. In fact on the return from Avalon we sailed straight to Dana, then to Oceanside, and after spending a night in Oceanside made it all the way back to Chula Vista in one 50 NM run at +/- 5 knots under sail. We had joined the Chula Vista YC & so had reciprocal privileges up and down the coast, so while at Dana Point we stayed in a guest slip at the Dana West YC.

Views from our mooring in Newport...
DSCN0490 Newport Beach mooring 7-1.jpg
DSCN0491 Newport Beach mooring 7-1.jpg
DSCN0492 Newport Beach mooring 7-1.jpg
I imagine you'll have fun fishing out there. Maybe get some hauls like this that we saw while at the CYM Cabrillo marina in San Pedro. Those guys gave us some filets of sea bass & boy were they tasty!
DSCN0517 Big Sea Bass catch 7-7.jpg
In July of 2017 we went back to Catalina with our Albin, but trailered to Huntington Beach and launched from there instead. However no immediate plans in the near future to return, as we like to concentrate most of our cruising in the Pacific Northwest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Mariner,

Gig Harbor's a neat place too. If I could afford to I'd move there & just spend winters down here. That's were we bought our new dinghy from in 2016. May go back & do some San Juans & Gulf Islands cruising this coming summer, but that's still TBD.
20160801_164609.jpg
20160801_152309.jpg
20160801_151317 (1024x576) (2).jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “New Member Introductions”