• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Potential purchase of an Albin 40 NSC

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Huntress
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Stratford, Ct

Potential purchase of an Albin 40 NSC

Post by Huntress »

Hi all
I have read many posts here on this forum regarding the 40 NSC.

I am looking at one located in Stratford Ct, named Mornings Light.

Does anyone have any information on this boat?

Second question is; can this boat "sit down in the mud"? My current slip fits a 3 foot draft boat and I believe the boat I am looking at draws 3 foot 10 inches.

Thanks for your time, input and opinion.

Huntress
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Great Lakes, Canada

Re: Potential purchase of an Albin 40 NSC

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

I can't help with specifics on this particular boat but I think I can safely say that it would be highly risky to let it sit in the mud. Few twin engined boats have a sufficient keel to protect the running gear. Your almost a foot shy on draft and I assume there is no tide at your location. The NSC is a fantastic boat, best of luck.
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Greetings!

Highly recommend NOT to have the boat sit in the mud. Potential for too many things to happen....such as plugging the raw water intakes...damaging the props just to name a couple.
Not sure who owned that one....but as a previous owner, the boats are structurally sound and are a sea worthy vessel....with that said it was made in China and there were water penetrations around most windows along with some less then high quality stainless steel fittings. There is plenty to read about in this section if you want to find out something. Let me know if I can answer any question you can't find an answer to. Good Luck!

Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Hello, I just wanted to mention that you can count on more draft and displacement weight than the specs say. Possibly as much as a foot more draft and 10,000 pounds. My son in law runs the family boat lift busniss and encounters this all the time. A previous owner of our 36 had the travel lift tension weight on it. Itwas 9,500 pounds more than the manuf. spec. Your props, cutlass bearings, sturts and shafts would be on the bottom twice a day.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

Huntress,

The 40 is nice but for, what seems to be, less money (older boat) you could get a 43' and I'd look at the sundeck.

We bought ours for cruising, (we start the Loop next spring) you may have other ideas, but there is a lot more space in the 43' (3' does make a lot of difference).

Don't forget while you are looking an offer can be around 1/2 of asking. We did that on our boat and got her for just a little over 1/2 of what they were asking. The money you save will go a long way to make your new boat just what you want.

I BTW, would agree with Joe & Tom on the sitting on the bottom. Along with the weight on the running gear, all of your intakes would be in the mud and could eventually cause a problem with the engines. Can you "T" to the dock for deeper water?

Good luck.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
GeoffreyFay
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norwalk, CT

Post by GeoffreyFay »

Hello Huntress,

I see that you were interested in purchasing Morning's Light (40' NSC) in June of 2015. Since it is listed for sale (today is 9/29/16), I gather you did not purchase her? May I inquire why not?

Google is amazing. Searching the boat's name I read an article posted by her owner in 2008 stating "whenever they used fresh water it was pumping under the forward cabin deck" because the yard didn't properly antifreeze "the anchor wash down system" and a pipe froze and broke. Did you find water damage possibly due to that? Any information you can share in this boat would be much appreciated as I am interested in looking at it. Thanks, Geoff

Return to “New Member Introductions”