• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member - Looking at 27FC

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
SailDave
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Barnstable, MA

New Member - Looking at 27FC

Post by SailDave »

I've been a sailor for 40 years and looking to retire into something a little less work on the water that won't break the retirement fund. Currently I sail a Cal 29. I'm really liking the Albin 27FC for a few reasons, sailboaty looks, fuel economy and not standing out in the weather at the helm.

Came here to get info. If anyone has one near Cape Cod that I could look at to see what they are like that would be great.

Regards to all
Dave
Cape Cod
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: New Member - Looking at 27FC

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome to the form, we sold our sail boat after retirement and went to a 27 FC, great choice for us. Sorry we are too far away to be of help, I'm sure someone will jump in. There are always a few 27s lurking around, take your time and find a good one. We are planning on starting the loop this Spring, the 27 is a great boat for a couple. Have fun, hope you find the right boat. Thanks, Mark.
imagine30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Newport, RI

Post by imagine30 »

Also a former sailor who went to the dark side. Whiskey One is berthed in Newport but winters on the hard in Bristol. Will probably be hauled within next week or so. If interested in viewing, advise and we can set something up via phone.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That would be an interesting poll, how many current and prospective Albin owners were sailors who decided to come over to the Dark Side? Oh, and welcome aboard Sail Dave!

My wife and I transitioned from a sailboat to an Albin pocket trawler 2 1/2 years ago. Being primarily a lake trailersailor in Arizona it seemed more practical to stick with boats 25 feet and under. Therefore when switching to power we went to great pains to find an Albin 25 that we could take anywhere we chose, as we used to do with our last sailboat, a wing keel Catalina 25 and still get the kind of fuel economy like when motoring a sailboat.

Our 1971 Albin 25 "La Dolce Vita" that we have owned since March, 2014 is my 6th boat since I first got into sailing in 1998. Those boats were a Windrose 25, Vagabond 14 daysailer, Montgomery 15 pocket cruiser, Catalina 22 wing keel (1987 second generation version), and lastly our Catalina 25. Only that last sailboat, the C25, had standing headroom in the main cabin. But the mast was bear to step & tune if we wanted to take it anywhere beyond our home lake, which we did taking it over to San Diego for two summers, keeping it docked in a marina and did a harbor hop from there up to Los Angeles and over to Catalina Island.

Cape Cod would be a wonderful place to have an A27FC to keep in a marina slip for the season. But if you were to consider an Albin 25, of which there are two available in Connecticut, with a good aluminum or galvanized trailer and a stout pickup truck tow vehicle you could take it over the road anywhere in the country and Canada without need of wide load permits. Say, Florida for the winter, Chesapeake Bay in Spring or Fall, or any of the Adirondack lakes like Champlain or Lake George, or even the Erie Canal & Great Lakes. Just a few day's road trip away.

The Albin 27FC gets good fuel mileage, but the A25 does even better. Our A25 is powered by a 24 HP Yanmar 3GM30F, same engine that was used in some Beneteau 32 sailboats. We burn 0.4 to 0.5 GPH at 6.5 knots. Ours is the earlier full displacement model. Later DeLuxe semi-displacement models can cruise at 8 knots or better for slightly less mileage, about 0.75 GPH at 10 knots or so. We can go 195 NM on 15 gallons of diesel with 5 gallons left in our 20 gallon tank. I never run ours down that far between refuelings, but we can go 120 NM at least on 1/2 tank.

Good luck on your search!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Imagine30, Newport is cool! Had one of the best times when we were out in Weekapaug last summer (2015) and a bunch of us went over to Newport and did a daysail excursion on the old wooden 12 Meter Americas Cup boat "Heritage"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
SailDave
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Barnstable, MA

Post by SailDave »

After hearing from all the ex-ragbaggers I don't feel quite so guilty for looking at these :-)

Dave
2manyboats
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Florida-Maine and in-between

Post by 2manyboats »

You will feel right at home. Almost the same speed, same motion, except now you can go in a straight line and get home when planned.

Wayne
First Light
25 Albin FC
38 Beta
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Another ex -sailor here the boat has been great for us and the ICW cruising we do

Return to “New Member Introductions”