• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Love Albins, but not Penta Engines

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Trebore06
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Somewhere in NJ

Love Albins, but not Penta Engines

Post by Trebore06 »

Hello Everyone,
I glad to be almost aboard. After twenty five years of sailing a Cal 34 sailboat, which I recently sold - I'm now ready to venture into the power boat years. I have fallen in love with the Albin Palm Beach 37, and continue to search for one. The only issue I have are the Volvo Penta engines - after some research I found, (very expensive to fix, difficult to get parts, Volvo support is terrible), I would rather have almost any other engines. Can anyone help in addressing my concerns? And thank you in advance for your help and guidance.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Love Albins, but not Penta Engines

Post by Tree »

What engine is it? Personally I've never had an issue with any Volvo I've owned. Always found them to be a good reliable unit. Parts can be expensive but not as expensive as my yanmar in my 28TE.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Welcome to the board! Where abouts in nj are you? Expensive is a relative thing. from my research I would put them somewhere between Cummins and yanmar in parts cost but closer to Cummins. Honestly if you maintain the motors then you can alleviate some of that stress
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
cih43
Mate
Mate
Home Port: bodkin yatch club (bodkin creek pasadena Md

Post by cih43 »

my 43 has a pair of vovos they have been very reliable filter if you buy the vovo filter are crazy but I crossed all my numbers to napa about 1/4 of the price other then that they have not needed anything other then one mixer elbow and that I found aftermarket for about 1/2 the cost of vovo
2manyboats
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Florida-Maine and in-between

Post by 2manyboats »

I'm not a fan of the smaller volvos, the 41; 42 and 43 KAMD series. They are high speed low torque which is not ideal for the marine envoriment. That causes the operators to push them to the limit to get the performance they paid for. In a trawler they should hold up much better.

Their larger engines, and truck engines, are noted for their longevity. A fisherman (basically a trawer style) next to me a few years ago had a 61 series with over 22,000 hours. The engine had never been apart. The front oil seal weeped and the usual common stuff worn out. It's still running I beleive with the same engine. Last time I talked with him, he was waiting till he couldn't stand the leak anymore.
First Light
25 Albin FC
38 Beta

Return to “New Member Introductions”