• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Not an owner yet... but an ardent admirer

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Searsport, Maine & Jacksonville Beach, Florida

Not an owner yet... but an ardent admirer

Post by Scudrunner »

Greeting all. For years I've looked for an Albin 25 but either I couldn't find one or didn't have the money at the time I did find one. I do believe in fate... and faith. When they both come together it's meant to be. I am a proud owner of a West Wight Potter 19 and love it and the adventures I've had. My son and I sailed the Dry Tortugas last year and had a great time, even the 7 seas on the last day. Sadly my wife doesn't like the Potter as much as I do, so I'm back in the market for an Albin 25. Please keep me posted if anyone sees one available.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Not an owner yet... but an ardent admirer

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome to the form, a goodly number of us have come from the sailing community. Three people on a 19 footer could dampen a wifes enthusiasm. At any given time I'm not sure there all that many 25s on the market, you will probably have to be proreactive to locate a nice one. Hope you find your boat, hard to go to far wrong with an Albin.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard! Mark is right, many Albin owners, especially the 25's & 27's come from the sailing world. That's perhaps because an Albin 25 is much like a sailboat in many respects, that is it has a displacement hull that sips fuel and gets better mileage than almost any other power cabin cruise of that size. Technically speaking it's more a "pocket trawler" than sport cabin cruiser. And the "poor man's trawler" at that, since the price range of most trawler type boats is in the six figure range. In a addition, a few of the early A25 models came set up as motor sailors with mast & sailing rig. It takes time and dedication to find one, and a willingness to travel long distances to get it. Keep checking here on the classifieds page, as well has the usual places like Boattrader.com and Yachtworld.com (there aren't any current listings on those two sites at this time).

I'm very familiar with the Potter 19. As a former trailer sailor myself, the list of boats I've previously owned includes a Montgomery 15. If you're a Potter sailor perhaps you're familiar with Small Craft Advisor magazine? Back in 2002 and 2003 I participated in the SCA sponsored "Cruiser Challenge" races in Monterey, CA, in which P14 and P19 boats competed mostly against Monty 15's and Monty 17s. Those were casual fun races which did not use PHRF handicaps, but did split boats up according to size, so the 14 & 15 footers raced in separate classes from the 17's & 19's, with a friendly rivalry between Potters and Montys. My 15 minutes of fame came when someone snapped a photo of me sailing my M15 "Scamp" off Monterey, which Jerry Montgomery used in his rigging service ads in Small Craft Advisor for several years.

Anyway, good luck with your search. The way I found our Albin 25 was to methodically go through Craigslist city by city, state by state until I found one listed in the Seattle Craigslist, but was actually located in Idaho, 850 miles from my home in Arizona. If and when you find one it'll be worth the effort. 5' 9" standing head room in the forward cabin, galley to port, enclosed marine head to starboard, an enclosed pilot house, a small sitting head room aft cabin with a pair of single quarter berths. Fuel burn rate of about 1/2 gallon per hour at 6.5 to 7 knots. 180 mile range using 15 gallons on a 20 gallon tank with 5 gallon reserve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Jbulluck

Post by Jbulluck »

I have a cure for that! My Albin 36 needs a new home. See it at www.spectrumyachtsinc.com

Return to “New Member Introductions”