• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
dscott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burlington, VT

Post by dscott »

Hi I am. New member from VT. I don't yet have an Albin but am looking for an Albin 27 FC. I hope to make an offer on one in the near future. I am a first time boat owner so any advice would be appreciated. The near future sailing destinations include the Erie Canal and Lake Champlain. Nice to belong to the forum.

Thanks,
Dean Scott
Kestral
'84 A27FC Peugeot/Lehman 4D61
Burlington, VT
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: New Member

Post by Nancy »

Welcome from a fellow Vermonter! The 27FC is a much-loved boat, and there is a ton of information about them in this forum. Happy shopping!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Welcome dscott, Take your time and be discriminating. There are some real cherry 27's out there and some that are not. As a first time boat owner, you probably should find one that is currently in good shape to start with. I would recommend looking for a late '87 or newer, as they made some changes in the molds that made them stronger, easier to work on and more comfortable. That being said, there are some beautifully restored earlier models that would be great too. The guys and gals on here are very knowledgeable and can help - all you gotta do is ask the questions. Good luck. Ben
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Welcome aboard. We bought our '84 27FC in 2015 and haven't regretted a single day.

True, there are always things to do but they are always improvements, cosmetic, mechanical or electrical, AND by the time your think you've finished you have acquired the (new) tools and knowledge you need to continue for another season. While all others are sitting around wondering what to do on that rainy, windy day in December you will be cutting a door in the shrink-wrap so you can get to the "little thing" that you woke up thinking about, or scouring Craigslist and Marina Yard sales for a part. Really bad weather means hitting the Albin Owners' Group, which is a constant source of useful information, good ideas and Albineer camaraderie.

Abandon garden projects; put the honey-do list on hold; forget your anniversary; start smelling of diesel - find a 27FC; hit the library for "boat maintenance" volumes; build up your Amazon wish list to include "boat stuff"; enjoy yourself and be the envy of your shore-bound friends.

You'll find the 27 to be a sturdy and steady boat, that will get you there come hell or high-ish water - slowly for sure, but you'll be in one piece and will have had adventures.

Good luck finding a great little boat; 27FCs are out there to be found.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

>>build up your Amazon wish list to include "boat stuff"<<

What?? I have a dedicated Boat list on Amazon. :shock:
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome New Member: You will find one of those fine 27 Albin's. Many of us came to the forum looking and getting the advise to complete the search.
Howard
2005 Albin Express Trawler 36
Former: 35 Te Albin Sportfisher flybridge
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Welcome to the board! good luck with your search. Where in VT would you be keeping the boat? I have family in orwell right on lake champlain. Never had my boats up there but I did bring the jetskis up and that was a blast.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome, we love our 27 FC, it's hard to pull into a new marine without someone coming up to admire the boat, or just ask questions. Hope the right boat finds you.
dscott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burlington, VT

Post by dscott »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the wonderful welcome. It is good to know that the 27FCs are well like by their owners. Jeremyvmd, I am looking at a marina in Orwell, Chipman Point, it looks nice and is in the Southern end of the lake which is near where I would like to be cruising. It is good to know that there is a lot of expertise in the group as I am sure I will need it. Since this is my first boat I have a question about the buying process. I have contacted a few brokers with Albin 27FCs and they say that generally an offer is made before the boat is seen then looked at, surveyed, and tested. How would I have a clue on what offer to make without knowing what other boats like this have sold for not just the asking price but what they actually changed hands for? I have bought a few houses and that market is pretty transparent. I have a few questions about the pictures shown on the internet and whether what I am seeing is actually a problem, is just cosmetic, or is ok. One example is one 27 with a garboard drain plug, I know that boats that get hauled on trailers have drain plugs but is it common for a boat that gets hauled once a year to have one or does that perhaps show that water comes onboard through a leak from rain or snow?

Anyway, nice to hear from everyone and thanks.
Dean Scott
Kestral
'84 A27FC Peugeot/Lehman 4D61
Burlington, VT
Sliverpickerjohn
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Seattle,Wa.

Post by Sliverpickerjohn »

New member / I am planning to begin looking at Albin 25 or 25 deluxe in 2017. Planning to travel in north Puget Sound area eating nuts, berries, and all the abundant seafood available in those waters. Thank you for my registration to this forum, John
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I been to chipman point a few times with my jetskis. If you follow mt independence rd till you get to the park, the last farm you pass is my sister in laws!. That would be a great area for a 27! Only thing I can comment on the bottom/garboard plug - I think they are a good idea on any boat. They will allow water to escape if it accumulates while they are on the hard.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

dscott, If your new boat doesn't have a garboard drain when you get it, you'll be putting one in, especially up north in VT. They allow you to provide a drain while on the hard in the winter. Without one, if water gets into the bilge and freezes, you can have a serious problem. Just don't forget to put the plug back in before launching in the spring! Normally you NEVER make an offer until you've seen the boat! Keep an eye on this forums' for sale section to get an idea of the pricing. Our guys are pretty honest about what needs to be done, if anything, before you'll be ready for sea. If you see what looks like a good one, go see it. Most brokers are like politicians, they'll tell you what you'd like to hear, but reality is different. If you have a good friend who knows boats and engines really well, take him along with you but you should also have a survey done, especially since you're new to boating. Your insurance will probably require one anyway. Better to do it before you buy it. Even if it's bad and you pass on the boat, you'll be money ahead in the long run. Good luck. Ben
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Welcome, We had a family cruiser for 3 1/2 years before we made the jump to our 36 classic, It was a great boat for weekending and short cruising. On boat buying, the broker should defiantly be willing to show the boat before an offer is considered, they may be reculant to start the engines and power up electronics. personally I insist that they get clearance from the owners to do that and allow me all the time I need to check out the boat, Also my experience is Don't believe anything they tell you, insist that you be allowed to verify all the statements about the boat. Good luck and let us know about your progress.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Welcome to the group!

If you haven't seen this already it might be useful

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8539