• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Albin time
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marion, ma

Post by Albin time »

My family and I recently purchased a 2011 Albin 28 Newport edition. This will be our first season with the boat. We live on Buzzards Bay in MA, and wanted a boat that could handle the average day on the bay. Our Grady White got us around, but we wanted a good seaworthy boat that we could overnight on with our two kids. The Albin 28 seemed like the perfect fit. We look forward to getting out as much as possible this season. This is our first diesel, so there is a lot for us to learn about with respect to good operating practice, and maintaining the engine. I am also interested in learning about issues that I may need to lookout for with the boat, as well as preventative maintenance tips. Anything I learn along the way, I will try to pass on as well.
Thanks
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Re: New member

Post by Marcy K »

Welcome aboard AOG Albin time (is that the name of your boat?). We too are in Buzzards Bay - Kingman's in Redbrook Harbor. We spend a lot of time at Cuttyhunk, MV, Nantucket, Provincetown etc - you are in boater's heaven - good luck with her.
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
Albin time
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Albin time »

Thank you. That is not the name of the boat. I think for now we are keeping the old name "Proteus." We look forward to visiting those same places. Being our first year with the boat, we may try to pick and choose our overnights until we get the swing of things. Do you have any recommendations for destinations that are good for an overnight? Do you usually pick up a mooring ball, or slip? Any trip planning advise you may have would be great too.

Thanks,
Todd
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

Todd,

Cuttyhunk and MV are so close. You travel a lot faster than our 10 kts so it will take you no time at all. A beautiful overnight is in Hadley Harbor where you can pick up a free mooring. There is only one of the small islands (might be Bull Island?)there where you can land and walk but the swimming and peaceful setting have to be experienced. We anchor in the NE corner of Cuttyhunk harbor, sometimes going on a pole. It is first come basis there and usually no problem if you arrive during the week or early on a Saturday. We go to Lake Tashmoo on MV - just west of West Chop in Vineyard Haven and anchor out. There is a pump out boat there and a public dinghy dock (with fresh water) no fuel - you have to go to Tisbury for fuel. The walk to Vineyard Haven is less than a mile away (we have fold-up bikes on board). The bus terminal is right there and you can take the bus anywhere you want from Vineyard Haven. Weekdays or early Saturday arrival is best here too. Gets busy later in weekend and clears out by Sunday afternoon. Hope this helps. We'll look for "Proteus".
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome Albin Time. Mooring of course has a lot to do with tide, weather and conditions. Those of us who are in the PNW are blessed with calm waters almost like a big lake among the islands. Personally I like the mooring ball as you have the safety and privacy at the same time.
Assuming you have a good dingy you can always run inside to the docks. We like camping out with a mix of hiking on the islands.
Howard
2005 Express Trawler 36
Albin time
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Albin time »

Very helpful. Thank you both. We've been to tashmoo, but not the others harbors. We look forward to exploring. We will keep our eyes out for Albins out there.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard! Marion, MA eh? This has nothing to do with Albins, but Marion rings a bell for me. RCA once operated a long wave radio station in Marion that was built in the 1920s but later sold to the US government. My late paternal grandfather was a radio engineer with RCA from the time it was formed as a spin off from GE in the 1920s until his retirement in 1957. He had been lead engineer at a wireless station in Tuckerton, NJ from 1920 until that station was decommissioned in 1949 and was then transferred to the Marion station. The Marion station maintained an old school Alexanderson Alternator RF transmitter for use by the Air Force for weather broadcasts to a base in Greenland and other arctic locations, and my grandfather finished out his career as civilian chief engineer there until those broadcasts were discontinued in 1957. The mostly wooded site was later sold to private investors and is now part of Sippican Lands Trust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCC_(radio_station)
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Albin time
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Albin time »

Hi DesertAlbin,

Very interesting. It's neat to learn tid bits of history about the town. Marion is still a quiet coast town, which we enjoy. Sippican land trust still has a large presence in the town.

Return to “New Member Introductions”