• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
thomashwagar
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Gaylord Mi / Cheboygan Mi

Post by thomashwagar »

Hi, my name is Tom, haven't picked out a catchy name yet. Last year off Craigslist, I bought a 1984, 27 Albin FamilyCruiser, with a 78hp Nissan, 2500hrs and a brand new trailer. It was the end of the boating year, so I didn't get my feet too wet. I did a end of season slip rental, though Craigslist again, on Lake Charlivoix in Northern Michigan. Everyone that see's the boat Loves it, there's so much, in a such a reasonable amount of space. So far, I'm a little frustrated with only traveling 7 and a half miles in one hour, I hope to get over that problem. Boat parts seem to be tricky to find. I've been looking for rub rail and corners on the internet, with no luck. I was going to put a pin on my home port but it's in the middle of the mitten, known as Michigan on dry land. Where I truly love the boat, in no-wake zones. When it's just puttsing along, nothings straining, you can hear people talk and of course, everybody waves. A little about myself, I'm 62, I've sold new Buick's and GMC's since I was 18, consider myself handy and enjoy taking a shot at fixing things. I like to ask questions and I like figuring out problems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: New Member

Post by Nancy »

Welcome, Tom! Really pretty boat. You'll find lots of information and help here.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Howdy Tom, You're going to have to get used to that 6-7 knot thing my friend. Evidently you're not an ex-sailor like a lot of us. The boats hull speed ( designed speed) is only about 6.5 knots. That's flying to a small boat sailor. I have the same engine in my '87 and burn about 3 qts per hour at 6 knots, or I can push her up to 8.5 kts and burn about 3.5 Gallons per Hr. It's unusual for an '84 to have the Nissan @ 78HP. The original engine in your boat was probably the 60HP Lehman/Peugeot and a previous owner wanted some more go-go. He mighta gained 1.5 to 2 knots better speed with the switch. The Nissan is a great engine and very reliable but as you mentioned, parts are getting harder to find if you need something. You'll love this site and the guys and gals are very helpful if you have a problem. Learn to enjoy slowing down and smelling the roses. Ben
thomashwagar
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Gaylord Mi / Cheboygan Mi

Post by thomashwagar »

I am an old sailor and the ability to bee-line to where I want to go is a plus. The fuel gauge hasn't moved much since I've owned it, another huge advantage. Where is the best place to post on the site, for things like the rub rail availability and mechanical questions. Tom
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I would post up in the a25/27 section. those guys will point you in the right direction. Oh and welcome!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Tom, I'll assume you have been to the 25/27 section by now. There's a good discussion on rubrail replacement/modification going on right now. If you want the original type, I recommend you get the Hamilton Marine catalog. My new one just came in about three weeks ago so it's hot off the press. They're great at getting orders out quickly and they carry lots of stuff our boats can use, plus they're usually cheaper than the others. Sorry about the comment about slowing down-I guess when I was only 60(about 15 years ago) I was usually in a hurry too. I'm looking for a trailer myself. I'd like to get to Lake Michigan again (My son lives up there)and I sailed there about 15 years out of South Haven. This boat is really good for that region. I can get there from here on the water, but it's a long, long trip. Hope to see you a lot on this forum and good luck. Ben
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Hi Tom

Welcome to the group!

And a little something to put up on a bulkhead in the head
oh-lord.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome: That is a really pretty 27' and looks to be in great shape.
Howard
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard! That is a pretty boat, especially the striping & the canvas enclosure. Yes, those go-fast boats may pass you on the water, but the one thing they can't pass that you can is a fuel dock. Show me another 27 foot cabin cruiser that can get 9 nautical miles per gallon fuel economy! Most are lucky to to get 2 MPG, feeding a pair of big block gas engines. And with diesel you don't have to run an engine room blower each time you go to start the engine. You can't beat these Albin 25's and 27's in purchase price compared to almost any similar size small tugs or trawlers like Rangers or Nordics.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Hi Tom,
I would say welcome the slow lane, but as a former sailor you know all about that. The big advantage is that you can now go straight there, without tacking or avoiding water that won't handle a deep keel.

We've had our 27 since 2015, and have really enjoyed puttering around the middle-Chesapeake Bay while sorting things out and getting ready for some extended cruising (read upper and lower Bay and Potomac) this year.

You have a great looking example there, and I'm sure she will give you many miles of relatively fuel-efficient cruising. (What's the hull # BTW)

Enjoy her, and welcome to a great resource.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Tom and welcome!

If you'd like to have your boat "pinned" on the map just drop me a note with the location (if you send a marked map I can usually put the pin right on your slip.) Send any details you want included - name of boat, your name(s), whatever.

She looks great!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
hagan_dv
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Brunswick, GA

Post by hagan_dv »

Hi, my name is Dan, excited about steaming our True Blue, learning to be a better captain. I bought a 1985, 27 Albin FamilyCruiser, with a 78hp Nissan, with a good used trailer last fall. I have been fortunate to have found a friend who has helped to refurbish the older gear and spiff up the old girl, over the last few months. A little about myself, I've taught biology for a career in 2 universities, the last was a medical school. I appreciate all the collective wisdom of this group, and look forward to learning lots about our boats. I know we get great fuel economy, but my fuel gauge does not register, any suggestions.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Howdy Dan, I've had the same problem in the past. These vessels were wired with those dang spade connectors, which get loose over time and slide off the terminal behind the gauge. Check that, the continuity of the wire to the sending unit, and then make sure you have a good ground connection at the sending unit. If all that's good, the sending units wear out too. You can get a new unit with gauge and sending unit for about $60 from Hamilton Marine. Hamilton is my primary go-to for most boat stuff nowadays. I recommend you get their catalogue. They also have our rub rail in stock. Good luck. Ben
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome, sure is a good looking boat, you have a lot more to start with than many of us had, enjoy.

Return to “New Member Introductions”