• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Essex Island Marina: July 24th & 25th, 2009

Rendezvous Coordinator - RobS

Moderator: RobS

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Essex Island Marina: July 24th & 25th, 2009

Post by RobS »

Last year we did a day stop at Essex Island Marina http://www.essexislandmarina.com and liked it but it was too short a visit to appreciate the place. So this year we stayed at EIM for four days and we absolutely loved it.

Although Montauk was a place of strong interest, I had been to Montauk enough to agree with all points made by John/jointventure (see “Location” topic) and figured after my 4 days at EIM I’d have a better feel for the comparison of the two.

For our purpose, EIM is perfect. It’s a “resort” atmosphere as opposed to “nice marina” atmosphere like most place.

As explained in the “Location” topic there is a large pool with plenty of lounges, covered deck area with a ton of tables & seating, bbq's with tables & chairs in all parts of the marina, deck shuffleboard, horseshoes, gameroom, billiards, ping pong and an adult lounge. The heads/showers were clean & plentiful.

The ferry off of EIM ran 7:30AM to 11:00 PM when we were there Mon-Thurs, may be later on weekends. It runs continuously and there is no charge. The Main St town is right there when you get off the ferry and offers numerous shops, a grocery market, coffee shop and two pub/restaurants, the Black Seal and the Griswold Inn. http://www.griswoldinn.com The Griswold is a B&B so if there are any roadies or guests this can be quite accommodating.

We kayaked around the island with the girls and caught some catfish off of the floater. There is also a great swimming hole, Hamburg Cove, just up the river. We took a ride approx. 9.5 miles up the river to the East Haddam Bridge and passed Gillette Castle & the Goodspeed Opera House.

There is a breakfast & lunch cafe on the island which also includes a mini grocery store. However, with all of the grills available and the conveniece of town we did not eat or shop at the cafe.

After 2008’s Northern location it was agreed to bring this years event to the South. Geographically, EIM is a fine central location for CT, NY & RI and not too far south and west for those from MA, and beyond, or even NJ.

So when I was checking out of EIM I asked to speak to the reservationist who handles group events. I was surprised to see how many events were already booked for 2009 and learned to find out that many groups are booked 3 years in advance.

For reasons explained in “Location” and in order to keep the group together as opposed to scattered and fit in all around the marina, I have reserved an entire floater/basin for the Fri & Sat, July 24th & 25th.

There is absolutely no commitment or any financial obligation at this point in time. Therefore, seeing how the owner’s group weekends were starting to fill up I felt it was best to secure our spot. I reserved the “B” floater with an estimated 15 boats to be attending. I will adjust the count if needed but wanted to keep the number hopeful, yet realistic. The “B” floater is the furthest North on the cove side of EIM. Therefore the boats back up to a beautiful view.

Hopefully getting this on everone's calender well in advance will keep away those conflicting commitments....

Here are some photos and please post some feedack. (All positive feedback will be welcomed, all negative feedback will be deleted :D )

Overview of “B” Floater Basin:

View behind the boats:

Additional dockage alongside basin that also include elec/water:

Several grills, tables & chairs near “B” floater:

More grills, tables & chairs and shuffleboard at poolside:

Pool area:

"The Deck" reserved for AOG Sat night:

Adult lounge:

Game room w/ping pong, pinball and video games:

Ferry:

Last edited by RobS on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jointventure
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Montauk , Long Island, NY

Post by jointventure »

Rob, Good job Essex has always been one of our favorites going back 25 years. Count us in - baring any unforseen occurances in the meantime

Joint Venture
John
Joint Venture
31TE 2000
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Count Legacy in too

Post by Legacy »

Colleen and I plan on attending aboard, unless I'm in the doghouse for some reason!

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

TOY-RIFIC - Rob & Erika
Time After Time - Ric & Karen
Doghouse - Matt & Janet
Joint Venture - John & Marcia
Legacy - Rick & Colleen

And the list goes on....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looking Forward

Post by RicM »

Rob & Erika,

We are looking forward to it. We will be staying at Essex for 2 nights in September, just enough to get to know it, not enough to see everything. Mid July should be great!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

We're in!

Post by Pitou »

Rob, thanks for the great post and pictures. Essex appears to be gathering steam and sure does look like a great place to gather. We believe what we will do is take a 2 week cruise, 1 week either side of the rendezvous and hit Cuttyhunk & Block on the way down and visit friends and family on the Vineyard and West Falmouth on the return w/a few other stops sprinkled in between. Very much looking forward to next years boating season and the '09 Rendezvous! 8)
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stops

Post by RicM »

Kevin:

Put Wickford on your list of stops, Karen & I will be sure to make it fun!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Wickford

Post by Pitou »

Done. We'll bring the LPR! :lol:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: We're in!

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote:Rob, thanks for the great post and pictures.
You're quite welcome - glad to be of service. Also quite glad to see that the distance will not keep bow-candy and yourself from attending in '09. Making more of the trip is the way to go. That's another reason I wanted to nail this to the calender well in advance. :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Date Set. Make it the best yet!

John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

News Flash: Hey Essex, the President will be in town!

Rob,
As soon as I mentioned the date to Sharon she said "we are going in 2009". I know it's 11 months away but as of right now we will be there.
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I circled the Griswold Inn to show just how close it is to the marina. The circle at the top left is the "B" Floater reserved for AOG and the red line in the middle is the location of the ferry.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Received this in an email from member George Fleming:

Great choice for the meet. Essex is a fun place. We will plan on attend with our 40 North Sea Cutter called Mornings Light. We look forward to meetiong new friends that have like love of boating. Enjoy the balance of this season.

George and Mary Jo
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

We are confirmed. Here's the reply I received from EIM confirming our booking:

Dear Mr. Schepis,

Hope that you had an enjoyable holiday!

We do have your reservation for the Albin Owner's Group arriving Friday, July 24, 2009, and departing Sunday, July 26, 2009. The area that you indicated on your attachment is referred to as "New B Floating", and yes, that is the area that we have reserved for your group of about 15 boats. And yes, we also have The Deck reserved for the group on Saturday night, July 25, 2009.

You will be receiving paperwork in January (after the first of the new year) for this reservation, and the Facilities Use Form for the use of The Deck.

If you need to make any adjustments or have any questions, you can contact us via phone or e-mail.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance!

Happy Boating!
Dawn

Dawn Schieferdecker
Marina Manager
Essex Island Marina
860-767-1267
www.EssexIslandMarina.com

Experience Essex! www.EssexCT.com
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

Essex Island, we are in NJ and love to come up to New England. My wife and i want to be included in the NE Rendevous next year. As others have said we are there unless there is something out of our control that keeps us away. We are near Manasquan inlet and should be able to make it in about 10-12 hours and one tank of fuel!!
We have a 28TE 2005 Pirates Treasure, we have it on our radar for 2009, great choice we have been in Essex but not by boat and have wanted to visit this marina.
Thanks, Craig

Return to “Third Annual New England AOG Rendezvous 2009”