• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boat name meaning.

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Boat name meaning.

Post by Jeremyvmd »

We boaters are a quirky bunch. So I figured we could have some fun. Post up the boats name and it's meaning!

Purrrspective - a veterinarians play on something a friend once told me. Sometimes you just have to step back, go boating and get some perspective!

Shady lady - unfortunately it was my father in laws passing that put me and my wife in a position to buy her outright. He was a huge fly fisherman and owned (his gf now owns) a fishing camp and its associated river on the mirmachi outside of doaktown. His favorite fly was a blue and black shady lady. Hence the name!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Boat name meaning.

Post by Tree »

No idea why Fisher Price is called what she is. Either the previous owner had shares in the company or it's a play on words. His son runs a centre consol called fisher price three so I'm guessing it could also be a family thing.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
markdbecker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Higgins Lake, Michigan

Post by markdbecker »

"TICABOO" Named by the 2nd Owner Jim Merrill. Page Arizona. Is a Piute Indian word for "Friendly" also a canyon and town in southern Utah.......The 1st owner Bud Neidhamer out of Petoskey, Michigan never named her..... She has gone thought life as Ticaboo, did not have the heart to change it.
Ticaboo
1970 Albin 25 series 2 #575
Yanmar 3GM30F
Residence: Jackson, Michigan
Homeport: Higgins Lake, Michigan & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

MAZBOOT - Georgia and I both lived in the Middle East for many years - Mazboot is the Arabic for "Just Right" and is commonly used when drinking Arabic coffee. There are 3 "sweetnesses" of coffee: Very sweet - Mazboot - Not sweetened. (Three bears style)
ALSO:
I spent several years in the Royal Navy Submarine Service - hence Mazboot / Das Boot
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

We've cruised in Mexico for years. We named our new-to-us 28TE "Compadre" which is the Spanish equivalent to "Buddy".
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

MALULANI - I wanted something different. It means "in the shade of heaven" or "under heavens protection" in Polynesian, which is how I feel when I'm aboard her. I had the same name for my 424 Pearson ketch and my 44 Marine Trader previously. Ben
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

"Paumanok" was the name of the research vessel for the Marine Biology Department at Southampton College of Long Island University where Ron and I met. The name means Long Island in Native tongue. So there is a long history for us with that name (coming up on 50 years) and she was renamed (with proper ceremony) 9 years ago. Our A 27 was named "Willet" and had the name when we bought her. We are bird watchers and a Willet is a migrating shorebird and seemed to fit well.
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Afterglow -

A good feeling after a pleasurable experience.

OR
light or radiance remaining in the sky after the sun has set.

OR
A sense of fulfillment, completeness, and general wellbeing that one feels after the effects of a psychoactive drug have faded, which can last from anywhere between one hour, and several days.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Bill C.... was the name of the Starfleet Commander's grandfather. He passed several years ago and when his widow left this mortal coil, the inheritance passed on down to the SC. She, being the brains in the bunch, immediately socked it away for retirement. Neither of us were boat owners but one of our favorite pastimes has been walking the docks of Portland and the Puget Sound. We had been drawn to the old, slow boats and actually looked at a few wooden boats. Then one day she saw a Craigslist ad for an A25 in Bellngham, "A VW camper on the water." I have a son and grandson up there so we took a drive.

This funky little boat with an ancient three cylinder diesel that burns half a gallon an hour looked and smelled a whole lot better than any of the woodies we looked at. As we were standing in the cockpit she turned to me and said if we were ever going to learn how to drive a boat, this would be the one.

Grandpa's inheritance covered the purchase price and a new trailer so we could avoid moorage fees. What other possible expenses could be involved?

In honor, memory and thanks to Grandpa, we named it the WillieC. Lately, though, seemingly busting everything I touch as I am trying to get her back in the Canal, another name comes to mind: Ed's Revenge, in loving memory of my dad.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

We named our last boat "Simple Gifts" after the Shaker tune and wanted to continue the tradition.

I voted for "Good Noise" -- a John Gorka tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWZNu0LHMWU

But my wife didn't like the suggestion (probably because one summer I must have played that tune to excess)

Then I suggested the Bruce Springsteen song and she said sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T_k48NDwLg

And of course there is that well worn observation that a bad day on the water beats a good day in the office!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Our previous boat (old 34 Mainship I) had the name on it and we were smart enough to decide to leave it. :wink:
We just had to continue with that name so we renamed our current Albin "(the new) Attitude Adjustment".
(we didn't like the "2", or "II" that most people use, hence "the new".

As far as meaning.....seems rather obvious. :D
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I'll post up for my dad because he hasn't chimed in yet. But Poco Loco came with her name. I argued hard for them to keep it as they were just a little crazy for buying her!

Keep the responses coming. Fun thread so far!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

"Everybody knows a little place called KOKOMO..." In the laid back island spirit.
That's why we named our boat "KOKOMO."
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

Post by Dr Luke »

Well, Jeremy commented for me on Poco Loco, which fits! Especially so since I bought her the summer after totally redoing my 23 Whaler Walkaround that also has a name that plays off being a veterinarian and occasionally having some spare time -- > UnLeashed. So now I have two...
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

Post by Dr Luke »

Oh, and Jeremy, you had more than a little to do with finding an Albin for me!
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed

Return to “General Discussion”