• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boat name meaning.

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape May, NJ

Re: Boat name meaning.

Post by taggteam »

TAGGTEAM
When I was a a boy, I played football. My last name was too hard to say (Tartaglia)..so the coach shortened it to Tagg. When I was 17...I wanted my own boat. my Dad had an old 21 Starcraft in the yard that was in a sad state of disrepair...and gave it to me. So, I freed the 4 cylinder Mercuiser from it's seized state....long story short...I got her running really well. I then tore up the floor...made and upholstered a new engine cover...fixed the dented aluminum corner on the transom....resealed the outdrive and prop...rebuilt the axles on the trailer...and was ready for the water. I don't think that he thought I would do it!

Being that my Dad gave me the boat...taught me all I knew...and was my fishing partner...I came up with TAGGTEAM. It was the first of many......probably on the order of 12 boats have been named TAGGTEAM since I was 17 years of age. Some are still floating around out there.....and I'm sure this won't be my last. I'm fairly certain that I'm in love with the 35TE. Ut oh.....

STEPHANIE ANNE
This is a long one....I met this girl in 8th grade. I think I fell in love with her then. We became good friends...but never more. After high school....6 years after...we ran into one another...had a fling. It was complicated...and I always wanted this girl as mine. 4 years ago....we ran into one another...and it all started again....this time without the complications. And so.....STEPHANIE ANNE
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

"La Dolce Vita", Italian for "The Sweet Life". Recalled the phrase from the eponymous 1960 Italian movie starring Marcello Mastroianni and Anita Ekburg. Re-christened our boat from the previous name "Nowell's Ark", which was a play on the previous owner's last name and obviously not suitable for us, which in any case had been done in cheap 3" stick on letters, like the kind one would use for a mailbox or registration numbers. 'La Dolce Vita' aptly expresses our feelings about our cruising experiences with this boat.
DSCN2058.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Taggteam,

See, that's what happens when you grow up on the Jersey Shore, it's in your blood. I too come from the Jersey Shore originally, and in my case spent a lot of time on Barnegat Bay up through the age of 15 when we moved away. But my dad had a several different boats, including a 25 foot Garvey clam boat, a 14 foot Dory, and a 9 foot Barnegat Sneakbox, all of which were wooden homebuilts, and he even ran a small outboard motor repair business out of his garage as a side job. That love of boats also lives on with my younger half brother in Florida who is in his 17th year working at the Pursuit Boats factory in Ft. Pierce.

As much as I love the Arizona Desert, having lived here for 40 years now, love of boats and the water is still in my blood, hence our attraction to Albin boats.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Chris G
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Aalborg, Denmark

Post by Chris G »

Our boat is named after our labrador Rosie. Or is our labrador named after our Albin 25? Got them both at the same time so I can't really remember.......
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

Nepidae, our 43' Albin sundeck.

After having a boat welcoming party, just after purchasing our boat, and after trying ourselves to come up with a name, we asked at the party for suggestions, offering a weekend cruise to the winner, providing a cruise ship type of experience.

What we got were general run of the mill names, Slow Poke & Nauti-girl were some.

My wife/mate decided on a Google search. Keeping in mind that it should be unique but also radio friendly.

What she found was Nepidae, we say Nep-a-day (which can also be pronounced Nep-a-dee) is the family name of the water scorpion. They like calm, slow moving water, which we like also, and a scorpion is the symbol for Scorpio's, in the horoscope, which both my wife and I are.

I checked the Documentation list when we chose this name, since we documented our boat, and there wasn't another one at least at that time.

BTW, our boat wasn't named before we bought her so we had to have a naming ceremony and completed the ritual.

She, the boat, seems to like her mane and even in a squall seems to handle the water like she was built for it.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
jaybap
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: newport RI

Post by jaybap »

"DOG DAZE II". Our last center console was named Dog Daze. We have 2 dogs usally out on the boat. Thought dog daze had a good ring to it.
2004 28' Albin FD "DOG DAZE II"
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Belhaven N.C.

Post by Northern Spy »

"SIRENIA" - The name came with our boat but it probably has dozens of others being a 1975 model A25. The previous owner named her after part of the taxonomic name for the manatee specifically, the order Sirenia. They were probably thinking of her proportions and seagoing characteristics. I prefer to think of the Greek origin of the word and Homers odyssey passing the island of the sirens (mermaids) and being lured into the shallow water and rock and smashed to bits.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

" I prefer to think of the Greek origin of the word and Homers odyssey passing the island of the sirens (mermaids) and being lured into the shallow water and rock and smashed to bits."

Happy thoughts, Northern Spy, happy thoughts! Beautiful!
Treeman
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Treeman »

Yukiko Maru is named for my sweetie Tamie Yukiko Stewart. Yukiko means "snow child" in Japanese and it seemed appropriate for a Swedish boat (and good relationship P/R). Of course Maru is a traditional ship name meaning "circle". Most references say the circle symbolizes a safe return to port and that sounds pretty good to me, too, considering some of our sporty adventures in the Gulf of Mexico.
ppaalo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Siuntio

Post by ppaalo »

Found this old thread and wanted to share ours, "Skumpan" is a wordplay on the Swedish word "Skumpa" which means both

1) as a noun any kind of bubbling wine in the style of (but usually cheaper than) champagne
2) as a verb what a boat does in heavy seas, that is "to rock"

the "n" on the end then makes it definite article (I think thats what it's called in English?). So our plan for the boat is to keep rocking while drinking cheap champagne ;)
1970 Albin 25, no. 465 "Skumpan"
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

0AF1D072-692B-4601-833F-5517FABDEBEA.jpeg
Odin is a Norse God from way back.
Previous boat was a Glacier Bay 2770 with a narrow transom, needed a short name, hence Odin was selected. (I know, a boat is female, but in this case, I made an exception for a real God.
This was back in 2016, and a few months after buying the cat I decided to start a Charter Company, Odin Charters...
www.odincharters.com
After a while I decided to not keep the Glacier Bay and sold it.
(Bought it brand new and sold it for $9,500 more than I paid, still in shock :D )
Next boat was the 2001 Albin 28TE and we named her Odin for simplicity, but the arse is of course big enough for a long name, in fact the previous name was Sea Odysee.
Odin kind of grew on us, easy to say on the radio and if i was going to get religious, Odin would be my God.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Post by Mike Monte »

My 28TE's name: Key of Sea
I'm a musician that wanted to blend a musical term with a nautical term.
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

ahh boat names..here is my short story: First boat with a name was a Bayliner 2755 "Coolchange" (a Little River song the PO had on his mind)..I kept that name on the boat..the next was another Bay, a 2855, that I got on ebay from some russian dude (long story but I did better than he did) in Vancouver BC..it was called "Bite Me" it needed changing asap and soon became Metanoia which is old Greek and means (for me) : Deep Change of Mind, a state I strive to achieve and happens rather spontaneously on the water. Next was a Macgregor 26x and when we got that we had recently been in Peru studying Shamanism and climbing around the Machu Picchu trail...so the name WAYRA came up ...means: Spirit of the Wind (next owner changed that) and now the Albin...it came to me as "As Time Goes By"...way too long to call in for a slip and meaningless to me so we went with another Metanoia...and I still experience a deep change of mind. There you go...your turn.
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
ppmeis
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marinette, WI

Post by ppmeis »

The first "real" boat I owned I named "Viable Alternative" I guess I just liked the sound of it. It was a 23 foot Pen Yann.
The second boat was a 32 foot Chris Craft, named "Better Alternative" the Dink was named "Alternate Alternative"
The Third and present boat is a 36 foot Albin, "Best Alternative".
Not sure about the next boat , "Final Alternative" is a maybe..

Return to “General Discussion”