• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Windlass

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Shariparkhill
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Gulfport, Florida

Windlass

Post by Shariparkhill »

Our 36 Albin originally had a windlass but it had been removed prior to us buying it last November. We are looking for suggestions from other Albin owners on the best type of manual windlass to get. We have a 65 lb Bruce Anchor with chain and rope. We would prefer a manual, in case of any electrical problems. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions! :
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Windlass

Post by tego »

As manual windlasses go, I don't think you can get a better one than the Sea Tiger 555. It's a two- speed and built very well. You can find them on Craigslist periodically for considerable savings. Ben
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

We had a manual windlass -- a Sea Tiger like Ben mentioned -- on our Crealock 37 and cruised with it for 20 years, it did the job but having experienced an electric version on my 27FC I would never use a manual one again. Cranking 100' of chain and then a 65 pound bruce up will be a workout that I would like to avoid. Before you make a final decision see if you can try a manual windlass on another boat.
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

Not sure why you are looking for a manual windlass.

Even if we had a manual windlass not sure my mate would be able to lift the 44# Rocna that we have in any short period of time. We aren't getting a younger as well.

We purchased a Lofrans Tigress windlass which has both a capstan & a gypsy so it handles both rope and chain.

It's free fall if we want that and OH, BTW, came with this handle that allows for manual retrieval, you know, for if you should have any electrical problems. Although, I would think if you have electrical problems you might just want to stay where you are until you can rectify the problem.

Seems like getting just a manual windlass certainly limits your choices and possible impact on a future sale.

Good luck and check eBay, probably others wanting to get rid of manual windlasses.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop

Return to “General Discussion”