• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Kiwigrip - any information?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Kiwigrip - any information?

Post by DCatSea »

Our local hardware store, in Deale MD, has a large marine section, and has just stocked a product called KiwiGrip., which appears to be an Awlgrip alternative. It is a water-based, "very hard acrylic polymer" that claims to be a next-gen non-skid. www.kiwigrip.com gives details.
Has anyone used this product, and have comments to share?

Thanks
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Re: Kiwigrip - any information?

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Doug I just used it on my forward deck and cabin top. It is a good product. I'm going to do all the decks with it. It is a learning process. I thought I did everything right. I taped it off I read the directions I looked at videos on line but I messed up still not bad but wasn't perfect. It dries quick and it is easy to make one big mess ask me how I know. I was worried about making it to aggressive or rough.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Sorry hit the submit button. It is easy splatter it everywhere when you are trying to roll it out that's what I did and I didn't get it cleaned up well. It is a mess. Really tape everything off a long way back. I thought it will rub off when it dries wrong it's there for good. The next problem was it looked like good coverage not to aggressive that it wouldn't hurt your bare feet. But when it dried it was thin and you could see through it. I guess I'm going to re coat it will probably make a mess don't know what to do. I guess the rest will be applied thicker. I learned a lot I had never used it before. I can definitely do a better job next time. I tried it first on the one seat and thought I had it figured out. I had help next time I will do it myself. Over all it's a good product and will hide a multitude of sins.
elad9000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart FL

Post by elad9000 »

I have used KiwiGrip for all non-skid on my 28 TE. Takes a little bit, actually a lot, of trial and error to get the texture right. Can be applied from very light texture to "hurt your feet" rough. Best to do small sections at a time and out of direct sunlight. It is a tough surface that holds up very well. Difficult to keep clean as dirt tends to stick. For really stubborn areas I use a Scotchbrite scrubbing pad.

After three years from application this Spring I top coated with KiwiGrip using a foam roller. I was not looking for any further texture just wanted to cover hard to get off dirt and stains. Worked fantastic. I actually feel it may be easier and faster to top coat than try to scrub out the dirt. Going forward I plan to top coat annually.
Dale Purdy
enJOYCEment
2000 28 TE 1800 hrs
Stuart, FL
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Thanks Sprig1 (Chris) and elad9000, for great feedback.. It sounds as if this may be exactly what I am looking for to cover a multitude of sins (on Mazboot; not me).

Transmission issue means I have time, about 2 weeks, to do stuff that didn't get done in winter layup, so I will do a couple of test patches.

Thanks

Doug
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Elad9000 that's good to know about the foam roller thanks for the tip it's just what I needed. Doug good luck with the transmission. I'm using kiwi grip in my cockpit where it was all rotted out. I have replaced everything there just waiting to coat it now. It really turned out well.

Return to “General Discussion”