• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bob Smith's passing

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Bob Smith's passing

Post by DCatSea »

Apologies of this is a late announcement; I just found it on the MTOA website. I never had the pleasure of speaking with Bob, but I have dealt with his son, and always found him to be a very helpful and knowledgeable source of info., a fitting tribute to his father's legendary status among Lehman owners.

Robert Frederick Smith, age 79, resident of The Lakes at Port St. Lucie, FL and Kilmarnock, VA, passed away Tuesday January 31, 2017.

Bob was born in Westfield, NJ to Frances Mueller Smith and Frank Smith. He grew up in Westfield where, after graduating high school, he served as a tool maker's apprentice for Bell Labs. He attended night school at Rutgers University, served seven years in the Coast Guard Reserve, and served for more than 20 years as a volunteer fireman.

Bob enjoyed a lifelong love of the water which came from time spent with his father. Boating came naturally and Bob was just as happy rowing, sailing, or operating a powerboat. He was also an avid water and snow skier.

In 1959 Bob joined a small business run by Roger Lehman. Starting as Sales Manager, Bob helped to engineer what would become the legendary Lehman Ford marine diesel. This engine became the standard propulsion for many boats. By the time he left Lehman, Bob was Executive V.P. & Managing Director.

In 1981 Bob purchased Hale Marine, a marine distributor in Warsaw, VA and founded American Diesel Corp, in Kilmarnock, VA. Bob became active with the Marine Trawler Owners Association (MTOA) for which he served 16 years on the board of directors. He wrote quarterly columns in their news magazine and conducted classes at events across the country.

Bob's desire to educate boat owners and to share both his experiences and expertise earned him nicknames including, The Guru of Diesel Engines and Diesel Bob. He is survived by wife of 50 years Gail Smith and other family members.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Bob Smith's passing

Post by hetek »

That's sad to hear. Bob was always helpful when I needed info or help with my 4D61. He told me many stories from his days with Lehman - too numerous to repeat. Didn't know he was from NJ and went to Rutgers. Guess we had more in common than just the 4D61.

He was also a true Albineer. Last time we spoke he mentioned owning TWO Albins. A 30FC and I believe the other was a 28TE.

Cheers to you, Bob. You will be missed.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress

Return to “General Discussion”