• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fouling and loss of speed

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Fouling and loss of speed

Post by Pedro »

Ive been monitoring my cruising speeds very closely this season due to changing the pitch in my prop to get the rpm up to factory spec 3,600. For 6.5 peninsular,
Rpm cam up with the expectated loss of top end speed,
However speeds really seemed slow, 14 knots at 3,100.
1.Turns out tach is off by at least 150 (according to photo tach)
2.Turns out the hull bottom and prop were spotless ,,except for the trim tabs and rudder, rudder strut..
Any idea how much speed loss is attributed to the trim tab fouling?
1-2knts? More?
I'll plan on scrubbing in the water in late August as a preventative,
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Fouling and loss of speed

Post by hetek »

I had an 18' Baja ski boat with a Johnson 175 hp outboard that I trailered. It was a 55 mph boat. I left it in the water at a friend's dock, without bottom paint, for a couple weeks. My friend assured me he would take the boat out regularly to "keep the bottom clean". He didn't.

I took the boat for a ride to the ramp to haul it out and it wouldn't even plane! I could have probably outrun it. When I hauled it out the fouling wasn't even as bad as I had expected.

A clean bottom is a happy bottom.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress

Return to “General Discussion”