• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cruising the ICW lessons learned

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Cruising the ICW lessons learned

Post by Bearkeley »

This group has been instrumental in helping us find and maintain our Albin. We just completed our first 60 days cruising down the ICW and wanted to share some of our lessons learned so far.

https://ourhappylife.wordpress.com/2018 ... s-learned/

We have an Albin 27 FC with a 4D61. Let us know if we can be a resource, just like many of you have been to us!
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Cruising the ICW lessons learned

Post by Carl »

Very nice, thanks for sharing!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Very nice! Your well done blog whets my appetite even more for our own upcoming 2018 Pacific Northwest cruise adventure from Blaine, WA to Desolation Sound in British Columbia, aka the "Salish Sea" that we're planning for June & July.

On the solar panel charging issue, what kind of charge controller if any do you have for your panels?

The reason I ask is that the one I have for the 20 watt trickle charge solar panel on my wheelhouse roof also has a digital readout meter that can tell me exactly what the voltages are to the tenth of a volt of each battery bank in real time, and the volts and amperage output of the solar panel. It can also allocate the proportion of solar charging amps that go to the start and house banks in 10% increments, as well as options for different charging regimes for different types of batteries, that is conventional FLA, Gel cell, or AGM. I also put a switch inline so I can switch off the solar panel when the engine is running. Because I have AGM batteries I also have an external voltage reg for the alternator with status indicator lights, plus the 'idiot light' on the Yanmar engine instrument panel that lights up if/when the alternator quits charging.
51ZmYN+nHfL._SX425_.jpg
smart charge 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Bearkeley wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:09 pm This group has been instrumental in helping us find and maintain our Albin. We just completed our first 60 days cruising down the ICW and wanted to share some of our lessons learned so far.
Well written and very interesting. Thanks!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
ChrisP
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Clinton Harbor, CT

Post by ChrisP »

Very cool write up. Please continue to post as your journey progresses.
Chris
1983 A27 FC
"ANNIE H"
Isuzu C240
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

desert albin, we have a 20 amp MPPT controller made by Renogy. It is a lot smarter than I am.
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

IMG_0754.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Very cool! I have been following your posts here, there and everywhere I find you. Very encouraging and refreshing.

Thank you and safe travels.
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

Thanks for the kind responses. We really are enjoying MaryJo. We have seen a lot of boats on our way down here and we have been really proud of our girl. Strangers come up all the time to admire her....she’s not just like any other boat in the marina...she’s unique and often, costs a lot less than other boats...even with all her upgrades! 😜. We are grateful to this group for educating us about Albins and finding our MaryJo!
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)

Return to “General Discussion”