• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Documentation Renewal Letters (SCAM)

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Documentation Renewal Letters (SCAM)

Post by rebuckley »

Once again, the Documentation letters are appearing. I got mine this year from a group named "Marine Documentation Center". Unfortunately it is not illegal for them to do this as they are "providing a service" for renewal.
They are NOT the Coast Guard - and typically charge 3x the $26 dollar fee the USCG charges for renewal.

Any letter that takes you to a site that is NOT "DCO.CoastGuard.MIL" - avoid using them as they will cost you too much $.

They put many cute USCG links on their site - but they must (by law) add a disclaimer on the bottom, saying they are a 3rd party and not the USCG - - so always scroll all the way down!!!
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Documentation Renewal Letters (SCAM)

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Great advice! Seems like we're living in a golden age of scammers, hackers, con men, & flimflam artists. Caveat Emptor is the word of the day.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Just noticed your RI home port. We did a cross country RV trip last summer that included spending the week of September 8th with a group of friends at a beach house on Meadow Ave in the Weekapaug neighborhood. Is WYC the one down by Spray Rock Rd & Sand Trail & the pond where all the Beetle Cats are moored?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

nope - that is Weekapaug Yacht Club - I don't think my draft would let me in there. Mine is Westerly Yacht Club (off the Pawcatuck River) up river from Watch Hill, RI
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)

Return to “General Discussion”