• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Move to Tampa?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tdsull
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Move to Tampa?

Post by tdsull »

Just as we are ramping up for a New England boating season an opportunity for the family to move to Tampa at the end of August has come up. My head is swimming with all the new adventures. Can someone from the Tampa area chime in with helpful marina advice? Do’s and dont’s for a year round boating lifestyle?
Much appreciated.
Tim
Louise ll
28 TE 2000 (6LP-STE)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Move to a Tampa?

Post by jleonard »

We moved from Ct to Florida west coast just north of Tampa 2 years ago (Tarpon Springs area).
I don't have a boat here, but have been on the water a few times with friends.
Boating is different here than in New England for sure. Water is shallow, lots of sandbars (and channels), fishing is "decent" but to get to deep water you will have to do some motoring.
The rule of thumb is 1 foot per mile, meaning if you want to fish in 20 ft you need to go close to 20 miles.
Fishing Tampa Bay may be a little different, not familiar with that specifically.
I can say we are enjoying a very very nice stretch of weather right now. Upper 70s to mid 80s. Perfect boating weather!
The boat ramps around me are packed full on weekends, weekday volume is less.
Good luck!
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
TomA
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PUNTA GORDA FL.

Post by TomA »

Tim, lots of Albin owners here in the Sunshine State. Year round boating keeps all the machinery oiled and a great life style. Marinas I have enjoyed in the Tampa Bay area, St. Petersburg municipal, and Gulf Port municipal. Both have good amentias and rates. Up until last year we had an annual rendezvous with 20+ Albin owners attending and sharing ideas. Maybe a 2018 rendezvous will happen? Come on down and join in the fun. TomA
tdsull
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by tdsull »

Thanks for the info guys. I have been looking at the Garmin maps and there defiantly are a lot of "green" areas.
We are looking into the Apollo Beach area and I have made contact with a few marinas regarding slip availability this fall, looks good.

My wife asked today for my current thoughts on the move. My response was that I have a line on a couple marinas, 2 quotes for shipping the boat down as well as offers from co-workers to bring the boat down with me.

She scowled and asked if I had researched school systems or housing logistics.
My response was to send a meme of Edgemont Key and some Manatee's, this should go off without a hitch!
Tim
Louise ll
28 TE 2000 (6LP-STE)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Housing logistics?

In Florida you can buy a house from Ma on your phone during your commute to work.
Yes it IS that easy.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

tdsull wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:26 pm Thanks for the info guys. I have been looking at the Garmin maps and there defiantly are a lot of "green" areas.
We are looking into the Apollo Beach area and I have made contact with a few marinas regarding slip availability this fall, looks good.

My wife asked today for my current thoughts on the move. My response was that I have a line on a couple marinas, 2 quotes for shipping the boat down as well as offers from co-workers to bring the boat down with me.

She scowled and asked if I had researched school systems or housing logistics.
My response was to send a meme of Edgemont Key and some Manatee's, this should go off without a hitch!
Ha Ha LMAO! No really. Thanks and I can see my Commodore saying the exact same thing.
Good luck.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bradenton, FL

Post by Albinflorida »

Apollo Beach is nice, reasonable housing, including water front, but it is rural and there is a huge power factory there Ruskin is just south of Apollo Beach, but is even more rural. Don't know about schools there, Also check out Palmetto / Bradenton to the south. Both are on the Manatee River which spills out into Tampa Bay and I've heard schools are decent. (I live in Bradenton). Boating in Tampa Bay is great, with lots of places to cruise and fish in the bay, or nearby. And it is YEAR Round!!
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790

Return to “General Discussion”