• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 49 cockpit trawler

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tlstewart2
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Ft. Pierce Fl.

Albin 49 cockpit trawler

Post by tlstewart2 »

Hi All,
I'm interested in buying a Albin 49 cockpit trawler. My questions are does the 49 have a cored hull? Are the decks cored? If so what material did they us for the core.? Also are there any other areas I should be concerned with On this model Albin. Thanks to all for your help!
Tom
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: Albin 49 cockpit trawler

Post by Panhdjoe »

I am not sure what boat you are referring to, All the 49s I have seen on yacht world are the aft cabin trawler design, similar to the 33, 36, 43, all those as far as I know have solid fiberglass hull's. The decks and super structure are wood cored. Exactly what wood I suspect varied some from boat to boat and what yard was building. The 49s and 43s were built by a different yard than the 36 and 33. All the Tiwan built Albin's have a reputation for solid as a rock hulls. The problems that develop as the years go by are leaky windows and decks. I just finished removing all the teak vernier and replacing it under an Aft cabin widow. The wood under the Vernier was a light colored wood that the window leak had not damaged. I think it may be Balsa.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
tlstewart2
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by tlstewart2 »

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the reply! The 49 Albin cockpit trawler is really a 43 Sundeck with a 6' cockpit off the stern. Looks very nice and easy access to swim platform. I have a 47' sailboat at present and think my advancing years is making a trawler look a lot more inviting.
Thanks again!
Tom
J0k3r
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland, OR

Post by J0k3r »

We have a 49 Tri-Cabin (we are in process of refinishing in slow motion) and the hull is solid fiberglass. The upper deck is also fiberglass with no core and teak on top of that. The fore and aft lower decks and the walls are cored with something, but I don't know if it is balsa. Where I have removed a couple of port windows the edge was sealed well with fiberglass and I have not cut into it yet.

Our leaks appear to all be from not well maintained decks and seals that have broken on the plastic port windows. The sealant between the teak on the decks eventually crack and lets go of the wood and deck, and then the water gets under it. Since the lower decks are screwed from the bottom, water causes the screws in the wood to loosen and then you get some movement in the deck that accelerates the process. Its impossible to access the screws from below in most areas without major surgery.
Forty Six & 2
1984 49 Tri-Cabin
Twin Volvo TAMD40A
Portland, OR
http://mvfortysixandtwo.com
tlstewart2
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by tlstewart2 »

Thank you for the reply 46 & 2! It's good to hear the hull is solid. Not real keen on cored hulls.
Thanks!
Tom

Return to “General Discussion”