• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My New Buddy

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

My New Buddy

Post by Paddy »

Figured I would post this given its a laughable moment and we could all use one. Last year I had a small bird who decided to make a mud nest within my rolled up rear cover. He packed mud and grass in it each day until I finally decided to keep the rear cockpit cover down and zipped up.

This year, he or she returned. Each time I rolled up the cover, he immediately packed it within 12 hours with mud and other marsh. Thinking I would not let a bird get the best of me, I decided to keep the enclosure down after each trip. Would you know that he now "somehow" sticks mud all over the closed isinglass? Completely useless for a nest but a mess on the boat. Making it more hilarious is that he watches from a close distance as I wash the mud each day. I tried to talk to him (which didn't help my sanity with the neighbors) but he is not giving up.

I love nature but I am at a loss with this bird. I might end up building him a birdhouse with hope that he relocates.

Anyway, hope you all had a great Memorial Weekend.
2004 28TE
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: My New Buddy

Post by WillieC »

That is a great story. This spring we watched four killdeer eggs diminish to two, crows I think, or snakes. I actually found one busted egg and almost formed killdeer still inside out in the yard. I was able to see one of the two poking his shell and coming out into the world, mom and dad having conniption fits with me around. Same day, mom gave up on the other egg and hauled it away with the scraps of the fledgling's shell. They stick around one or two days, keeping junior out of sight, but with patience and lots of time, you will get to see the little ones. They are now in residence on our tideflat and let me know every time I mosey out there.

Sorry about your mess, but you have to admire their tenacity!
IMG_1434 (1).JPG
IMG_1455.JPG
IMG_1468.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Smiling now. Thank you.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Ah nature! Maybe not boat related, but certainly bird related. Spring time is hatchling time for the flocks of Gambel's quail that are abundant in our neighborhood situated near the edge of the desert (which is under assault by relentless urban sprawl). This is Papa Quail standing guard over a mate & brood of 8 or so tiny chicks hidden out of sight under the shrubbery in our front yard to the left in this photo. These birds can fly when threatened but are ground nesters and mostly prefer to stay earth bound and walk around like chickens most of the time. The bushes are real but the grass is artificial.
20180521_164836.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

Not his best work and its been raining like crazy lately, but this is the normal mud/marsh that I have been dealing with. Also, kudos to the previous owner for the engine cover caddy...I never shared it with the other owners because I thought it "came with the boat." The previous owner did some great work on this boat, so glad I am the 2nd owner.
2004 28TE

Return to “General Discussion”