• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Could you get back in the boat after falling overboard?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Could you get back in the boat after falling overboard?

Post by WillieC »

Exactly what I have, Kerry. A nice upgrade from nothing.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I'd like to have a folding swim ladder like Capt Brad's. Problem is on my boat as on all A25's, the transom is curved. And in my case in particular the swim platform is not deep enough, only 13 inches at the center. This photo was taken when it was set up for Weaver Snap Davits which have since been removed & was a study on dimensions for adding the lift davits that are on there now.
20160820_103628markup.jpg
This was my prior solution, a rope ladder that could be clipped onto the end of the swim platform & with an added grab handle. Not easy to use, but doable. As can be seen carrying the dinghy on snap davits blocked access when the dinghy was stowed, and now the lift davits block the ends of the platform. What I could do is attach this rope ladder to the stern of the dinghy & board the dinghy that way, IF there were crew available who could lower the dinghy in a MOB situation.
DSCN1264.JPG
Otherwise no suitable replacement solution has been found so far, other than climbing onto the dinghy or being lifted by crew using one of the davit falls as mentioned in an earlier post. So for now the rule is never go out single handed. And of course take all precautions to prevent falling overboard in the first place, including wearing PFD's on deck & tethering in while up on the foredeck in rough weather.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Just did due diligence on the SOS MOB Recovery System. This is an Australian device available from US distributors. It looks interesting enough to warrant a trip to Annapolis to have a look/see, to determine whether or not to put it on the boat's inventory. Not cheap, but if it means getting back onboard without assistance from above then it's probably worth the $$$$.

One big advantage of beam re-entry is that you don't have to contend with the swim platform trying to beat your brains out as you deploy the ladder, bearing in mind Murphy's Sea Law which states that if you are in the water when you didn't intend it, the boat is probably bouncing around a bit..

Big question is if you can deploy it (or perhaps rig to deploy) from the floating position.

http://www.sosmarine.com/product/sos-recovery-ladder/
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Earlier this year I fitted a 4-rung pullout ladder under the swim step, which made a big difference to actually being able to remount. Recently I saw (somewhere - AOG?) an idea for an extension made out of 2 carabiners, a length of rope and a pipe, which it is now completed and tested, in and out. It provides an adjustable and very handy extra rung some ways below the bottom rung of the metal ladder, which allows my old bones to get on to the ladder without the contortions. I think it could also be attached to sides in an emergency remount, via port and starboard cleats. The pull-out ladder actually extends out further from the swim step and drops down at a slight angle, which further helps getting back in. For info: the pipe/step is on my dock.
Note: Knowing me, I'll probably give the pipe a galvanizing primer and paint it dayglo orange.
IMG_4964.JPG
IMG_4965.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “General Discussion”