• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trailering to Port Hardy BC

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Trailering to Port Hardy BC

Post by coolchange »

So my latest adventure (planning phase) is to cruise the Great Bear Rainforest area (British Columbia North of Braughtons)...and to keep it from being a really long trip (launch in Olympia or Bellingham) I am looking at taking the Blackball Ferry to Victoria and driving up to Port Hardy. So far it's looking doable..the ferry says my boat should fit..I need to verify beam does not exceed 9'6" and that the truck and trailer storage for a month won't break the bank...but what I don't know:
How are the roads for towing a larger than usual trailer
Are the Canada folks more attentive to "oversize" loads? (never a problem Portland to Oly or Bellingham)
Places to pull over for the night...parking lots, rest areas, RV parks etc. (Ferry gets in around 6PM and the drive is 6+ hours)
Any favorite spots once back on the water and heading North??
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Trailering to Port Hardy BC

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Have you considered taking the Washington State ferry from Anacortes to Sidney? I can't answer for Port Hardy, as we've only been as far north as Comox by boat. Roads on Vancouver Island are as good as any. You've probably looked this up already, but here's the launch ramp at Port Hardy (screen shot from Google Maps street view). Note the sharp "break" angle in the pavement. Depending on the length of your trailer's tongue, could that pose possible problems with high-centering & dragging the trailer frame and/or tongue jack?
AAporthardyramp.jpg
Highway 1 and Rt 19 going up Vancouver Island are 4 lane divided roads as far up as Campbell River, then a good 2 lane paved road the rest of the way.
AAroute19BC.jpg
There's a decent ramp & parking at Comox, but then you'd have to run Johnstone Strait and add many more miles by water.
DSCN4573 (1280x960).jpg
I hope you're thinking mid summer, because we spoke with some folks who were going to take their MacGregor 26X motor sailer up to the Broughtons along with a group of their friends in early June. They ended up not being able to go due to vehicle problems, but said the rest of the fleet got rained out the whole time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

I would recommend you launch at Port McNeil as this is the gateway to the Broughtons. I took my Albin25 up there 3 years ago. Port McNeil has a good boat ramp that is useable in all tides. I parked in a private secure lot for $10/day; they charged less for non-secure parking. Port McNeill Municipal Marina referred me to the lot but I cannot remember the name.

Tie up at the municipal marina as it has showers and reasonable rates.

If you want to visit Sointula I recommend you leave your boat at the marina and take the ferry as a walk on. One day gives you the time you need to walk around and take in the community. There is only limited moorage and it is several kilometres from the town centre. Alert Bay has a good marina that is well set up for visiting boaters and they have an excellent museum of indigenous culture.

The roads are good all the way up the island. The Anacortes ferry is a good suggestion as it is roll on roll off where as the Blackball Ferry is side loading and will require tight manoeuvres to get on and off. BC Ferries from Tsawwassen to Nanaimo is another option that avoids the drive from Victoria to Nanaimo and is also roll on roll off.

You can see grizzly bears along the shore in the Broughtons but as with most natural events there is no guarantee of success. Here are some photo ops from our cruise:
Islands in the sun.jpg
Typical Islet
Lacy Falls, Tribune Channel.jpg
Lacy Falls in Tribune Channel
Man with halibut.jpg
Man With Halibut, Alert Bay, BC
Mom and twins.jpg
Grizzlies on Shore, Minstrel Island
Port McNeill.jpg
Bald Eagle on Shore, Port McNeill
The Deck at Lagoon Cove.jpg
The Deck at Lagoon Cove
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

You can see grizzly bears along the shore in the Broughtons but as with most natural events there is no guarantee of success.
We packed bear spray (pretty much the only "weapon" one can legally bring into Canada without special permits) just in case on our July cruise to Desolation, but we never saw any bears, neither grizzly nor black. In fact it was a bit disappointing (not that I'd want a close encounter with grizzlies) in that we didn't see any Orcas, moose, or much of any other notable wildlife either, except occasional harbor seals (harbour seals in Canada), otters, deer, and a few bald eagles. On past cruises we had seen Orcas and a mother and calf humpback whales down in the San Juans.

This is the closest thing to a bear that we saw. :lol:
20180728_163637.jpg
The Inside Passage between Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast should be on every boater's bucket list, whether you bring your own boat or do a bareboat charter. Just when you think you've seen the most stunning scenery in your life, around the next corner is something even more spectacular.

DSCN4459.JPG
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Yes, Orca sightings were pretty scarce around here this summer. Lots of humpbacks but only a few Orcas. The federal government has recently committed $228.9million dollars to help protect and revive southern resident Orca populations.
Hull No. 1013, 1971

Return to “General Discussion”