• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Any family cruiser 30s in Rhode Island?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Luvinlife
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rhode Island

Any family cruiser 30s in Rhode Island?

Post by Luvinlife »

Although I have never seen one in person, I think the boat I am most interested in purchasing is a family cruiser 30. I am quite familiar with the 28TE and love almost everything about it. We are weekend cruisers (not much for fishing) and enjoy cruising and overnighting, sometimes with another couple on board. The FC30 adds the aft sleeping accomodations and a much larger holding tank and also has the sea keeping qualities and performance and economy my wife and I are looking for. I would love to see one up close and talk with a current owner. I live in eastern Massachusetts and boat in Rhode Island.
BobHaze
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hyannis

Re: Any family cruiser 30s in Rhode Island?

Post by BobHaze »

I don't recall her name, but there's one that lives at Crosby Yacht Yard in Osterville. You might be able to get the yard to give the owners your contact info and ask them to call you.
Bob
2004 Albin 35 CB COMPASS ROSE
Cummins 6BTA 5.9
Former owner of 2001 28 TE ALLEGRO
Luvinlife
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Luvinlife »

Thanks Bob Haze. I actually work on the cape. I will swing by Crosby Yacht Yard to see if there is an FC 30 there.
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

My location is of no help to you, but I purchased an A-30FC new in 2005 (hull#15) and still have it. My previous boat was an A-27 Express and I was thinking of trading up to a new A-28, but I was attracted to the aft cabin with two bunks. I am mainly a river and canal cruiser and I do not fish. I always cruise with crew so the aft cabin is ideal. The main sacrifice with the A-30 layout is a smaller cockpit. The forward end of the A-30 is the same as the A-28 (of which there are several variations). Given that my boat is hauled and tarped for almost half of the year and there is little hot sun up here the gelcoat has held up very well as has the Yanmar 325HP engine. I am now at about 900 hours. I have had no maintenance issues with any of the systems.
If you have any specific questions do not hesitate to post or you can PM me.
Note that my boat is not for sale.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Luvinlife
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Luvinlife »

John thank you for the reply. I, too, am not planning a lot of fishing, mainly cruising and overnighting with friends and family. Can you give me some insight into performance, cruising speed and top end speed? I can see that the cockpit is a bit smaller but am willing to make that sacrifice for the rear cabin. Is there enough room to add say 3 or 4 folding chairs in the cockpit in addition to the 2 jump seats? I am thinking they can be stored in the rear cabin when not in use. I typically slip my current boat "stern in". Does the rear cabin make that a very difficult maneuver? And do people sit on top of the rear cabin when at anchor? Looks like a nice spot to catch a few rays or jump into the water. I see you are one of only three or so FC 30 owners on this site and all seem to be very happy with their boats. Thanks for any info you can provide. Enjoy your boat!
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I think that performance will vary depending upon which of several possible engines are in your boat. In my case with the Yanmar 325 HP my top speed is about 26 MPH. Because of its greater length, the A-30 is slightly faster than the A-28. A good cruising speed is about 15 MPH when your reach a plane. Fuel consumption is about 1 litre per mile at idle, rising to 3 litres per mile at maximum speed. The cockpit can easily handle 3 folding chairs.
I have no difficulty going stern-in, but you must steer with the bow thruster because the rudder does not respond well when going astern at a slow speed.
I have a canvas roof (with removeable side screens) running from the back of the cabin all the way to the stern so the aft cabin roof is used for storage of the barbeque, etc. The sunbathers use the forward deck.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Luvinlife
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Luvinlife »

Thanks John. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Luvinlife
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Any family cruiser 30s in Massachusetts or Rhode Island?

Post by Luvinlife »

Still looking for an elusive FC 30 in my neck of the woods. Very interested in seeing one.
BobHaze
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hyannis

Re: Any family cruiser 30s in Massachusetts or Rhode Island?

Post by BobHaze »

Luvinlife wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:40 am Still looking for an elusive FC 30 in my neck of the woods. Very interested in seeing one.
No joy at Crosby's? I'm out of Hyannis and I know there was a green one there for at least the past 3 years.
Bob
2004 Albin 35 CB COMPASS ROSE
Cummins 6BTA 5.9
Former owner of 2001 28 TE ALLEGRO
Luvinlife
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Luvinlife »

I stopped by Crosby’s on December 23rd, but every boat there was shrink wrapped to the waterline so it was hard to see if there was an FC 30 hiding under and of the wrap. (I was a little nervous milling between the boats uninvited in the dead of the off season.) If anyone knows of another FC 30 in Mass or RI let me know. Ken Hilton and I have been in contact. He sold one a few years ago and said the owner may be looking to sell. He will reach out to that owner for me. Happy New Year!
Luvinlife
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Any family cruiser 30s in New England?

Post by Luvinlife »

I originally posted about any Family Cruiser 30s in Rhode Island. Does anyone have one in New England? Would love to see one, very intrigued that model could be my next boat.
Luvinlife
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Luvinlife »

I saw an elusive family cruiser 30 in a slip in Wareham MA, but the dock was locked. It looked like a well kept flag blue hull with cream colored top sides. Anyone know who owns it? I will swing by again soon and maybe get lucky and find the owner.
Luvinlife
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Luvinlife »

Got a good look at a very nice Family Cruiser 30. Glad I did. Now that I have seen one up close, the compromise in the cockpit size may not be worth the 2 extra berths.
Boatguy123
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bourne ma

Post by Boatguy123 »

Sounds like you answered your questions. But if you have more we have a 30fc in Bourne MA.
Luvinlife
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Luvinlife »

Boatguy are you selling yours? I think I may have seen it it’s in Wareham correct?

Return to “General Discussion”