• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Upgrades and whatnot

Albin's "power cruisers"
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabrook, Texas

Upgrades and whatnot

Post by boater_mike »

With the cooler weather, i'm thinking about doing some upgrades, fixes, and other projects. (stanchion rebedding, portlight resealing). I'm trying to invest at least $20k before selling it for $15k :lol:

I am thinking of some Seadek-like flooring in the cockpit area (the Seadek brand is much too expensive). The Texas sun does make it hot. Just wondering if anyone has tried anything of the like - EVA foam.

Thanks for any input.

-Mike
Last edited by boater_mike on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Corda Francis" - 1984 ALBIN 27FC #129
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: Upgrades and whatnot

Post by DCatSea »

I love the idea of spending 20 to make 15, and I am on the same pathway; it must be a 27 thing.
Regarding decking.; I looked at Seadeck, and decided that it was a) pricey, and b) REALLY difficult to lay properly without professional help - i.e. REALLY pricey.
I'm still looking for a good sound-dampening mat that a) isn't black, b) can be laid by a "mere mortal", but that can be easily taken up to accommodate getting to the engine and having a good old clean-up/drying out, and c) heavy enough to stay put.
Any ideas are most welcome.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Why not just put it up for sale and just throw in the cash as part of the deal? I figure if I ever sell the WillieC, the only right way to do it is to give it away so the next owner can sink 15 or 20 Large into a shiny red engine and end up with a boat worth about 15 or 20.
(At least I haven't done this get poor quick scheme on SEVERAL BOATS, as others here have. :wink: )
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

But it is cheaper than NFL tickets, isn't it?
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I'm trying to invest at least $20k before selling it for $15k :lol:
a) Don't think about selling, think about memories made or yet to be made!

b) Do what'll make you happy & the boat more enjoyable, within a reasonable budget that won't make your spouse want to divorce you.

c) $20K? Ha, ha! I've already "invested" $22K in various boat repairs, trailer repair/maintenance, and boat upgrades, in addition to the initial $23K purchase price for boat & trailer. That figure does not include operating expenses such as fuel, insurance, wet slip & dry storage fees. Those costs add another $9.8K over the past five boating seasons. Boat fuel is the least of all the expenses. Also does not include road trip expenses for 16,000+ miles of over the road trailering. When the day ever comes to sell, which by then our boat will be over a half century old, we'll be lucky to get back 40c to 45c on the dollar "invested".

I've been working this week on refurbishing the stock plywood cockpit floorboards on our A25 (as I write this I"m allowing a coat of West System 105 resin cure before I paint with Rustoleum Marine Topside deck paint that matches the light beige color of the fiberglass($16.98/qt at Lowes), with Rustoleum pumice anti-skid pumice additive ($6.48 for 4 oz can good for 1 qt of paint).

I too have thought about various ideas of coming up with teak & holly floor boarding, either real wood or imitation Lonseal type vinyl. All too expensive. I had carpeting attached with button snaps, but it was too hard to keep clean (fuzzy marine grade carpet collected dirt like crazy & hard to vacuum out). Not sure what A27 cockpit flooring is like, but the A25 has removable plywood sections to access various parts of the bilge.
20181111_152428_resized.jpg
But then scenes & memories like these are "priceless".
DSCN4477 (1280x960).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boater_mike »

I was hoping to get some comments on the Seadek itself - yes it is expensive, but so is boat ownership no matter how you cut it. Slip fees, insurance, general maintenance....

Back to cooling and softening the deck...I looked at some alternatives from Chiliwich mats from Sailrite (INSANE price!) and without a method to sew, that wasn't going to work. I looked to some self-cut marine grade carpet or even outdoor carpet from Home Depot. It turns out, no matter the option, as the aesthetic looks increase, so does price. Go figure. I currently have some (used to be nice) rubber backed rugs from Target I put out to ease the heat on the feet. The rubber backing tended to get "melty" in the hot Texas sun and actually stuck to the deck in places leaving little melted rubber splotches everywhere. Difficult to get off.

SO..I bit the bullet, and after some interweb snooping of other like products, and convincing the wife this would be my "Christmas gift" for the next 3 years - I ordered Some Seadek. They currently have a 50% off holiday special. This price put it more in line with some of the comparable products out there. As for the professional install - I AM PROFESSIONAL!! We shall see.

I'll post pics as soon as I get started, and give reports.

-Mike
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

You will like the Seadek: Got mine last year, all good:
6C36C713-480E-4611-9965-4357508F2422.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

...hot Texas sun...
I hear you there. Our cockpit is always out of direct sunlight with the canvas enclosure which has canvas flaps over the side & rear window openings and covers over the windshield & pilothouse side windows, but it still gets hot. Not unusual to see outside temps here in AZ get over 115 in July, even occasionally approaching 120 in the worst heat waves.
Which is why we prefer being somewhere cooler in summer. Closest coastal area to escape to from here is San Diego (360 miles away) or L.A. (400 miles away), or Pacific NW (1,500 miles away). Whatever the outside ambient temperature is, add 15 to 20 degrees inside the closed up cabin & cockpit when the boat is stored at home. The flip side of course is this time of year. Later this week will be one of the first times so far this fall where the high won't reach or exceed 70 and by next week as we get into December will top out in the upper 50s with lows near 40.

The photo below was taken during the month of May when the outside temperature was in mid 90s. During real peak summer heat it could get over 130 inside the boat with everything closed up. This digital thermometer is mounted inside the forward cabin. "IN" measures the temperature at the device, "OUT" measures temperature in the cockpit with the sensor mounted in the dashboard glove box.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boater_mike »

Seadek came in yesterday.

I was so excited, I postponed fence fixing until next weekend (hopefully it will rain), and went ahead and put it in today. As usual, installing is MUCH more difficult than it shows in the online videos.

There's a BIG learning curve to use it, but by the time I was done, I had a much better handle on cutting, patterning, ect. There are PLENTY of mistakes that I hope I'll be able to correct later. Here are some photos and tips. Enjoy!
IMG_20181201_093846327_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181201_100739875.jpg
IMG_20181201_102711884.jpg
IMG_20181201_110101905.jpg
IMG_20181201_141307749.jpg
IMG_20181201_141553304.jpg
IMG_20181201_144926305.jpg
Last edited by boater_mike on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Nice job Mike! Looks great from here!! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Post by jashmen »

Looks good! Maybe a new career? Seatek installer?
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boater_mike »

jashmen wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:16 am Looks good! Maybe a new career? Seatek installer?
Not in a million years! :)

If I had more money, and was able to do it over, i'd spent the money on the mylar, make the patterns, send them to Seadek and have them do it.

-Mike
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

boater_mike wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:31 pm Not in a million years! :)
LOL! That much fun, huh?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
davem554
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Nassau Bay, Tx

Post by davem554 »

Hi Mike, Happy to see your a fellow FC owner in the area. I live in Massau Bay and keep “ Lucky Us” an 86 27FC in a slip behind our home.
I would love to get together to share stories and tips.
Dave Marks. Davem554@gmail.com
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boater_mike »

Hi Dave!

Dying to take out the boat, but the water is pretty low this time of year, and it's a bit chilly for this Texan. I'd love to see what you've got on your FC. I live within spitting distance of Kemah, so you're definitely close! Shoot me a message. Mike

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”