• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Insurance renewal

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Insurance renewal

Post by Yearwood »

Having experience in marine insurance I have always shopped my business periodically with success. It is that time again for Boat US just came thru with a hefty increase and just wondering if anyone has recent experience on rates with a particular underwriter. Haven't had a claim in over 50 years of ownership.
28 foot Albin PH.
Don
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Insurance renewal

Post by Norseman »

Yearwood wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:00 pm Having experience in marine insurance I have always shopped my business periodically with success. It is that time again for Boat US just came thru with a hefty increase and just wondering if anyone has recent experience on rates with a particular underwriter. Haven't had a claim in over 50 years of ownership.
28 foot Albin PH.
I ditched Boat US a few years ago.
Their rates and lack of common sense went North and South.
Been using Charter Lakes the last 2-3 years.
Good rates, good customer service.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Hi Don -

Do a forum search on "insurance" and you'll find lots of interesting reading.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Boat US just came thru with a hefty increase
Is this the GEICO insurance carrier BoatUS switched to a few years ago? I paid $205 for my 2018 BoatUS/GEICO policy which runs from April '18 to April '19, so not up for renewal for a few more months yet. That was down from $226 in 2017 which in turn was down from $228 in 2016, which was the year I switched from Safeco to BoatUS/GEICO when Safeco upped their premiums to $288.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Emcunningham
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Chestertown

Post by Emcunningham »

We use SafeCo (Liberty Mutual), and actually switched our home and auto policies to Liberty Mutual as well. SafeCo was almost half the price or GEICO/BoatUS, for comparable policies. SafeCo offered additional discounts, that made up for the cost of purchasing a BoatUS Tow Policy, as well.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I agree, I dropped Boat US after their price increase. I am currently using Travelers for my 98. The agreed value is $52000.00 with a $1000.00 deductible. The premium is $660.00 for annual coverage, with a lay up period from 11/1/18-4/1/19. I also have my homeowners and auto with the same brokerage.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Basis a new quote I think members could save if we put together a spread sheet of main terms, carrier and premium.
Don
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

BoatUS is still the best deal for us.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mistyjim1
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Cave junction or

Post by mistyjim1 »

Hey guys it's not about a few hundred bucks, nor how long you've boated without needing them. After 40+ years of boating I had great need of my insurance this spring. Glad I was with boat us! They put me through minimum pain and came through.
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

They worked fine for me for two years, but eventually became non-competitive. They are not an underwriter but rather a broker representing one insurer GEICO.
Don
mistyjim1
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Cave junction or

Post by mistyjim1 »

Maybe all wet on this but I think the boat us brand expects GEICO to play fair and represent them well. I did not know what to expect having heard horror stories from other boaters about thier boat insurance. Of long delays, disagreement over coverage, hull devaluation ect. I experienced none of this with boat us/ GEICO. I guess the better question for albin owners would be how thieir nsurance performed when the chips/hull were down. This is just one guys experience would like to hear others.

Return to “General Discussion”