• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

hudson florida with 31te

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

got2dive
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: none

hudson florida with 31te

Post by got2dive »

looks like i will be moving to the tampa/hudson florida area at the end of the summer.i have a 2001 albin te with single yanmar wondering about water depths in area i draw close to 5 foot. hear area is very shallow. love the boat but dont want to be touching bottom everytime out boats in new york and dont want to spend money to transport down then find out its to shallow any info would help
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: hudson florida with 31te

Post by jleonard »

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11409.shtml

Here is a link to the chart of that area. You should look and decide for yourself.

I boat out of the Tarpon Springs area (Anclote River) with a 17 ft center console. It's shallow until you get out a ways, and "assuming" you keepp your boat in a marina or behind your house that has a good channel, you will be ok.
The Gulf ICW is there and I see big boats and sailboats cruising thru so there IS water. Also a couple of good anchorages nearby.

But there are a lot of sandbars and very shallow areas, places I won't go even with the outboard trimmed all the way up. I draw about 18 inches in that mode.

I hope this helps your decision. The key is STAY IN THE CHANNELS until you get a mile or two out.

edit: Have you been to Hudson? When you go stop into Sam's Beach Bar http://samshudsonbeachbar.com/ for lunch (worth the stop) and see the channel there. It goes right past Sam's only a few feet from the shore, but you'll be able toget a feel for the shallowness of the water there.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

The shallow waters take some getting used to. When we leave the harbor in Maine we are in over 100' of water. When we leave the trench here, we only see around 15' or so. Up north we don't anchor in less than 20' typically so it is a bit of an adjustment. When we first starting coming down we brought a 17' Whaler which gave us a chance to adjust and learn the waters, markers etc. Depends on the boating you like to do, the smaller boat is perfect for day trips and beaching but 40 miles from the dock is about the limit and it is a big area.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Nothing to do with Florida, but having grown up on Barnegat Bay in NJ, which also is mostly shallow water I agree, STAY IN [DREDGED] CHANNELS is good advice.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “General Discussion”