• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Need a dock for your Albin in Fort Lauderdale?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Need a dock for your Albin in Fort Lauderdale?

Post by Norseman »

I have room on my dock right now for an Albin 28, or smaller.
Dock is centrally located 10 mins from the FLL airport and 5 minutes from I-95.
3 miles up the New River, on a residential canal, the canals in the area is considered “hurricane holes”: So far no damage after 20 years and numerous hurricanes.

In a few months I will have room for a bigger boat, up to 40’, but have to get read of a 17’ Cobia first.
7CAC6BB6-F4A0-465C-B8F4-3A5A4509252E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Re: Need a dock for your Albin in Fort Lauderdale?

Post by Capt Brad »

Where is your 28?
Capt Brad
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Capt Brad wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:26 am Where is your 28?
At the dock, old image.
Rented out to the sailboat on the picture for 11 years, but he left last year, hence I have room for another tenant and the A-28 is a good fit.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Here you go, the Albin 28TE at Home Base.
BD3D8486-5619-4F72-AC73-E5C0B172BCA1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Looks perfect. Wish I needed a dock in FLL.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Nancy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:33 pm Looks perfect. Wish I needed a dock in FLL.
Sure you need a dock here, palm trees and sunshine included. :mrgreen:
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Norseman wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:11 pm Sure you need a dock here, palm trees and sunshine included. :mrgreen:
You forgot to mention the boat. What's up with that?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

So, what, are you selling your 28 (broker sign on the side)? My half brother lives 2 hrs north of you in Fort Pierce (works in the Pursuit Boats factory wiring dept). Maybe I should give some thought to trailering our boat out that way someday, not this coming winter, but next, & make a run out to Bimini or Grand Bahama? It's been done before with our boat, 2nd or 3rd previous owner back, circa 1990 when our boat once lived in Florida. Our 1999 aluminum trailer was manufactured by now-defunct Performance Trailers in Florida. New River? North or South Fork? The sailboat in the old photo was your tenant? From the looks of the amount of tumblehome in the stern, my guess is maybe a Seaward sailboat? If I lived in Florida I'd want waterfront canal property like that. Last time we were in Fort Lauderdale was for an eastern Caribbean cruise on Princess line out of Lauderdale in 2010.

Anyway, looks like a sweet deal for anyone in your area.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Nancy wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:18 pm
Norseman wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:11 pm Sure you need a dock here, palm trees and sunshine included. :mrgreen:
You forgot to mention the boat. What's up with that?
Boat not included, bring your own... :mrgreen:
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:17 pm So, what, are you selling your 28 (broker sign on the side)? My half brother lives 2 hrs north of you in Fort Pierce (works in the Pursuit Boats factory wiring dept). Maybe I should give some thought to trailering our boat out that way someday, not this coming winter, but next, & make a run out to Bimini or Grand Bahama? It's been done before with our boat, 2nd or 3rd previous owner back, circa 1990 when our boat once lived in Florida. Our 1999 aluminum trailer was manufactured by now-defunct Performance Trailers in Florida. New River? North or South Fork? The sailboat in the old photo was your tenant? From the looks of the amount of tumblehome in the stern, my guess is maybe a Seaward sailboat? If I lived in Florida I'd want waterfront canal property like that. Last time we were in Fort Lauderdale was for an eastern Caribbean cruise on Princess line out of Lauderdale in 2010.

Anyway, looks like a sweet deal for anyone in your area.

Nooo, not selling my boat, no broker sign on the side, look again
(It says Odin Charters and a phone number, linky: www.odincharters.com)

Yes, South Fork on the New River.
The sailboat in above picture is a csy33, owned by a friend from Alaska, he rented from me 11 years, I also had the same brand and model sailboat for 14 years, sailed the Bahamas many times, now joined dark side and own a stink-potter... :mrgreen:
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Was not familiar with CSY boats, but looks very nice. Didn't look too close at the charter sign on the Albin. If it weren't for the fact that we live so far from coastal waters & don't want to be stuck on the same 2 mile X 4 mile lake I'd probably still have a sailboat. But with trailerable sailboats it's either one small enough for easy mast raising like a Catalina 22 & have to put up with sitting head room cabins & porta potties, or a 25 foot with heavy mast like a Catalina 25 or similar. Anything bigger than that is impractical to trailer over the road or even keep dry stored near a launch ramp to launch each time you go boating. Out here slips in the marinas on the lake are $360 a month year round & all you can do is day sail back & forth the same old, same old 2 miles across & 4 miles up & down or anchor overnight in a cove. So that's why we have the boat we have now & do what we do.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

In case something changes, here is info on the CSY sailboats:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbe ... ing_Yachts

We took ours to the Bahamas 27 times and even more to the Florida Keys.
Great boats.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Great boats.
West Palm out to Grand Bahama is what, about 75 or 80 NM? That would be about 12 to 13 hours at our +/- 6.5 knot cruising speed. I'm thinking if we ever did something like that (wouldn't be the first time for our boat with previous owners), leave port around 9 PM, run overnight & you'd arrive in Freeport some time between 9 & noon the next day? Have to think about adding that to the bucket list! Avoiding hurricane season of course.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Great boats.
West Palm out to Grand Bahama is what, about 75 or 80 NM? That would be about 12 to 13 hours at our +/- 6.5 knot cruising speed. I'm thinking if we ever did something like that (wouldn't be the first time for our boat with previous owners), leave port around 9 PM, run overnight & you'd arrive in Freeport some time between 9 & noon the next day? Have to think about adding that to the bucket list! Avoiding hurricane season of course.
We usually cut over from Miami or Key Biscayne to Bimini or North Cat Cay, about 50 NM.
In the beginning we went at night so as to arrive in daylight, because that is what sailors did.
After a few of those we said screw that, go early morning, arrive mid afternoon, anchor, eat and drink, then next day at slack tide, go in and check in with the authorities. All perfectly legal as long as you fly the yellow flag and do the check-in within 24 hours.

Will be doing the same with the Albin, but instead of 9 hour crossings, 3.5 or so, depending on sea state.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Interesting, and intriguing prospect. Not saying we'll actually do it, but I have an aunt in Panama City who will turn 90 (God willing) in November, 2020. Also as mentioned, there's my brother in Fort Pierce. It's 2,270 miles from my house across I-10 & I-75 to Fort Pierce and another 100 miles down to Fort Lauderdale. It's a long trip, but we've taken our boat out east once before, to Erie Canal & Rhode Island, then trailered down to Delaware for a couple weeks on the Chesapeake & back, 5,700 road miles in all. I would love to drive out to Panama City for my aunt's 90th & a reunion with some of her kids in Longwood, taking our boat along with us and stopping to see another cousin in Bay St. Louis, MS along the way. Then do a run out to Bimini and/or Grand Bahama. As Judy Tenuta would say, "It could happen!"

We've cruised in Canada, but hadn't heard of needing to fly a yellow Q flag (we don't have one in our flag locker) before clearing customs. We always fly a Canadian courtesy flag from our bow jackstaff while 'in country'. In Canada, at least the BC ports of entry we've used, you pull up to the dock where there's a phone kiosk that dials up the customs office & you give your info over the phone & they give you a clearance number to write down & post on your boat. You never see an actual customs agent in person.
20160630_182736.jpg

This comment was posted on YBW.com on the subject:
As far as Q flags go I have always understood from 50 years experience that you hoist the Courtesy flag with a Q flag below until you have completed necessary formalities after which time the Q flag is promptly removed. I have also been led to believe that although the courtesy flag is so called, it is not an optional act of courtesy but a compulsory by law requirement. Hence the officials of some countries (rightly) get a little miffed if such an ensign is not visible & appropriately worn.
Have boat & trailer, will travel!
0523151122.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “General Discussion”