• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Need a dock for your Albin in Fort Lauderdale?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Need a dock for your Albin in Fort Lauderdale?

Post by Norseman »

. As far as Q flags go I have always understood from 50 years experience that you hoist the Courtesy flag with a Q flag below until you have completed necessary formalities after which time the Q flag is promptly removed.
No, you fly the yellow Q flag until checked in, then you remove it and fly the National flag of the country you are visiting.
Flying both at the same time would be weird.. :shock:

At any rate, got dock space for rent smack in the middle of a Fort Lauderdale for a fellow Albino.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

No, you fly the yellow Q flag until checked in, then you remove it and fly the National flag of the country you are visiting.
Flying both at the same time would be weird..
Interesting you should mention that. In the latest BoatUS Magazine issue just out (February-March 2020), on page 32-35, article titled "Wrong answer? Try Again" about common incorrect answers to quiz questions on the BoatUS Foundation for Boating Safety free courses, choices for question #3 on pg 34, "The Q flag used for foreign port of entry means: a) We need immediate medical attention; b)Vessel is healthy, request approval to enter; c)We have no pets aboard: d)We have nothing to declare. Correct answer is B) Vessel is healthy, request approval to enter (also known as "free pratique". So technically you're right. We've cruised in Canada multiple times and once in Mexico and have never seen or been asked to fly a "Q" flag. Don't even have one on the boat. In fact in BC at least you generally check in by phone kiosk at the dock & never even see a real person. On returning to the states & checking in at Point Roberts, WA (which is peninsula separated from the US by a chunk of Canadian territory), they now require you to check in via video link chat on a CBP ROAM smart phone app.

By the way, in that same issue on pages 24 & 25 there's an article about us and our travels.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. So technically you're right.
Not really about me being correct.
The Q flag means “I seek Practique” or I need to check in.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Norseman wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:21 pm
. So technically you're right.
Not really about me being correct.
The Q flag means “I seek Practique” or I need to check in.
We've cruised in Canada multiple times and once in Mexico and have never seen or been asked to fly a "Q" flag. Don't even have one on the boat.
Wow, ok.
I have never been asked to fly the Q flag either, but I sure do it without being asked.
21 years in Florida and sailed to the Bahamas 30 times, yellow flag up every time.
35 years ago we lived on a sailboat in the US Virgin Islands: Hoisted the Q flag every time we sailed to the BVIs: It worked every time, all good: 8)

Return to “General Discussion”