• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hydraulic steering system

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Capttman
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Boston

Hydraulic steering system

Post by Capttman »

Hi
I have no steering on the upper helm in my Albin 40 trawler. Heading to the boat Monday and would like some insight into filling the fluid and pressurizing it. I’m not sure of the brand of steering but it had a cylinder of fluid behind the bulkhead of the lower station
Thanks
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Hydraulic steering system

Post by rebuckley »

Capttman - my 83, 36' has a Hynautic system. I have a copy of the user manual and it describes how to refill and purge the system. Email me and I can send you a copy (I will also make sure one is in our library here)
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2956
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

There's a reservoir at the upper helm also. Unless the previous owner left one, you'll likely have to find or make a funnel that will let you fill it without making a mess.
Then you can follow the bleeding instructions. My system does NOT have a air tank. I don't if Reb has one or not on his 36.
I have the "Capilano" system which has an adjusting knob below the wheel. This is to adjust the stroke of the pistons. I have mine adjusted to minimize the amount of turns lock to lock.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

I do not have any air tank - and only a single reservoir (behind the lower helm) - but I do have a "bicycle pump" attachment on my reservoir (I keep a small bike tire foot pump on board) - after filling, I use the pump to bring the pressure up in the reservoir. I agree about the funnel - I picked up one with a bendable hose attachment to get inside for the fill. If your reservoir still has pressure - there is a ring in top that will allow you to release pressure before opening the fill. After the initial fill - I believe the instructions say to work both helm stations (you will immediately feel a difference) then recheck the fluid level in the reservoir to ensure you have enough. I do not remember the fill lines - but I think I have 4 glass sights on the tank, and it must be in the 3rd sight or above. (found some pictures)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)

Return to “General Discussion”