• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Generator for swim platform- which one?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Generator for swim platform- which one?

Post by Jkraft »

Hi all, I’m in the process of buying my 02 28 TE. The boat does not have a gen but does have AC. For those super hot summer nights, does anyone know what size generator I would need to run the AC during the night when on the hook?
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Generator for swim platform- which one?

Post by Norseman »

If on the hook you will have a breeze down the forward hatch.
If rainy and muggy with no breeze, run a 12 volt fan across your naked bodies.

We only run A/C while hooked up to a marina. Never needed it at anchor in Florida.

(Ex sailboat live aboard in the Caribbean, been there, done that @ 15 degrees North, year around,)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

IMO, it's risky to run a generator while sleeping due to the possibility of CO poisoning. If you're determined to do it, check the specs on your A/C unit. They draw a lot of power when the compressor kicks in.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
elad9000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart FL

Post by elad9000 »

We run a Honda EU200i generator for overnight A/C. Yes, you need to be very careful about CO fumes. We run the Honda on the swim platform. Install a GOOD CO alarm mounted at sleeping level in the cabin. Also need a soft start like the Hyper-Engineering Sure Start. We can leave the Honda in Eco mode and easily start the A/C. Tried a SUPCO SPP6 capacitor but did not work.

Have been toying with the idea an extended exhaust but have not found anything yet that I really like.
Dale Purdy
enJOYCEment
2000 28 TE 1800 hrs
Stuart, FL
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Apollo Beach, FL

Post by Rondo »

IF you are at anchor, and IF the generator is on the swim platform, the risk of CO exposure is minimized somewhat. First by the air flow at anchor coming from forward, and remaining so as you swing in the breeze. Second, CO is heavier than air, so with the transom door closed, it would be expected to vent away instead of climbing upward, over the transom and then down into the cabin. Absolutely agree about the CO monitor in the cabin. I have no doubt the e2000 would do the job, quietly.
Rondo
Franwilson
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Stuart, Fla

Post by Franwilson »

Agree Rondo and I love my Honda 2000i but I’d be quite interested in trying a 2000 watt Predator from Harbor Frieght to leave on my dive platform at $500 vs the money u spent on my Honda.
I do love bring my Honda to the sandbar for a fish fry on our CC after a return trip from the Bahamas!!!
Only thing better then that is AC on your boat any way you can get it!!
Fran
Fran Wilson
Stuart, Fl
JDeere 2040, Kubota BX23, Ventrac, 28-6 BlueWater CC, 15-6 Hobie Skiff, C182
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Regarding CO detectors.....
A few years ago I had t go thru a "courtesy survey" (no cost to me) from my insurance company which is BOAT US (Geico I believe).
I was written up because I did not have a CO detector in each sleeping cabin. Was told I would not be insured unless I complied. Boat is diesel powered with a built in Gen below deck.
Of course I installed a detector, but the point being that insurance companies require it.
Do or not do as yo see fit.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Morgan
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Columbia,SC

Post by Morgan »

We decided on the Honda 2200 largely because of its reputation for reliability and quietness. But for several reasons (fundamentally, exposure of $1000) I didn’t want to put it on the swim platform. And while the open space under the hatch between the seats on the 28 TE had plenty of room, I didn’t want gasoline below deck.
So we bought the Honda and a West Marine dock box to put it in. While the dock box took up space up against the stern inside the boat, it was (sort of) matched by the big Igloo cooler on the starboard side. It was nice and quiet running on the dock for a break in period. It was a short jump from the box to the shore power plug. Found a reinforced silicone exhaust extension for the genset and ducted it out under a clamshell vent in the side of the dock box so exhaust fumes wouldn’t contaminate the pristine inside of the dock box. I’ve got to say I was proud of this engineering.
Then solid engineering met reality. Out on the first night of a multi night trip we were looking foreword to using the microwave at dinner.
Damn it was loud!
The box with the lid open acted like Satan’s own gramophone focusing all the sound of the genset straight toward the cabin door. Additionally, that purring Honda on the dock was running under a significant load and was working far harder and louder than soothing humming at the dock. Here in SC we will need the AC in the summer and we could not sleep through the racket.
$150 later, I’ve lined the inside of the dock box with Dynamat. It’s a lot better; maybe 50% reduction, but still not as quiet as idleing in the yard, but it is acceptable. I did not do the bottom of the box and will go back and do that. Turning the box around so that the open lid faces away from the cabin helps.
At least now it’s tolerable for cooking dinner.
I may end up setting it on the swim platform next summer when we need to run the AC all night. I’ll let y’all know.
Morgan
ppmeis
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marinette, WI

Post by ppmeis »

You will not make any friends at anchorages with an air cooled genny running. They sound quiet at first but they certainly become annoying in short order. If you are out alone , "no harm, no foul" but with others around, it can be bad.

pete
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"Satan’s own gramophone"

That's beautiful writing. Made me chuckle.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

You will not make any friends at anchorages with an air cooled genny running. They sound quiet at first but they certainly become annoying in short order.
Also the bane of RV campgrounds that don't have hookups.
Hi all, I’m in the process of buying my 02 28 TE. The boat does not have a gen but does have AC. For those super hot summer nights, does anyone know what size generator I would need to run the AC during the night when on the hook?
I hear you on that, having cruised mid Chesapeake from Bivalve, MD to Oxford, Cambridge, & St. Michaels & over to Solomons & St. Leonard's Creek in July, 2015 with our decidedly not air conditioned A25. Silly me, thought we could run up the Potomac to DC for 4th of July. Quickly disabused of that idea & cut it short to 2 weeks after having trailered all the way out from AZ. Gotta love those summer thunderstorms, NOT! I have a copy of Donald Shomette's excellent book "Shipwrecks on the Chesapeake" that talks about the 19th century steam packet passenger boats that plied the Chesapeake from Baltimore to Norfolk and up to DC. Can't imagine how miserable that must have been with the clothes people wore in those days. At least we have a 110V fan we can plug in when we're on shore power. Hey, I'm from AZ where it gets up to over 115* in July, & MD in July is far more miserable than AZ's dry summer desert heat.
DSCN2846.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

There’s no comparison between portable and onboard Generators. A marine liquid cooled (diesel) generator professional installed is at least $15,000~ and on A25, there’s no space. A portable Honda is $1000~ and only needed in most cases for short run times for 120VAC or in remote anchorages. The portable GG can also be used in other applications on shore or resold. I’ve always gone portable on my two 28TE’s and now A25. If you need full time A/C. buy a boat with manufacture installed onboard generator IMO for safety, liability and simple functionality
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.

Return to “General Discussion”