• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cabin/Wheelhouse and deck painting?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Cabin/Wheelhouse and deck painting?

Post by DCatSea »

Mazboot is in "very nice" shape overall, but would benefit from a good paint job of the cabin/wheelhouse and non-slip. I've been toying with doing this myself for a couple of seasons, but have come to the conclusion that with all the prep work and multiple coats being fairly reliant on decent weather if the boat is out in the boatyard, it may be a heck of a sight quicker and more effective to eat the cost of someone doing it properly under cover in a somewhat more controlled environment. (I'm a mean hand with a roller and paint brush, but I've seen too many "not-so-good" paint jobs).

Trouble is I have no idea of what would be a reasonable cost of doing this. I have a dread of getting bids ranging from a few hundred to many thousands, and then having to make a decision based on ... what? I'm usually good at this with house contractors but am clueless regarding marine paint jobs.

Hull is in very good shape, so it's a cabin/wheelhouse and nonslip only job.

Can anyone please provide guidelines as to what I should expect?
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Cabin/Wheelhouse and deck painting?

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I was lucky when I did our topsides and bottom paint earlier this year, including exterior of the wheel house & non-skid on the decks. Cost of paint, rollers, various supplies was a bit over $800. Part of that was $260 for a gallon of Pettit Hydrocoat ECO non-copper ablative bottom paint, which is more expensive than copper based paints. Deck paint was Interlux primer, Pettit one part acrylic deck paint and Interlux non-skid. Labor wise, I had an "in" with one of our sailing club members who runs a yard up at a nearby lake & I was able chip in and help with about 30% to 40% the sanding and painting, which involved quite a bit of sanding due to old paint that PO's had done years ago that was chalky & full of brush marks. So my dollar labor cost for topside deck and bottom paint after I supplied paint & other supplies was $1,500, total cost around $2,300. Hopefully the topsides at least will be a one time thing for as long as I own the boat. At some point maybe this year I'll do the inside of the wheelhouse, but that's a small project I can do myself where we normally park the boat.

This is the end result:
20190616_132547.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
boat8oy
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Greenville, NC

Post by boat8oy »

I'm a little late answering this post, but I felt strongly enough about what already has been posted to reply late. I asked the local contractor here in NC and he said for a 28TE to do the deck and doghouse would be ~$2,500 - $3,000 including the 2 part Alexseal paint (similar to Awlgrip).

The reason I feel strongly about this is that someone was recomending using a 1 part urathane paint. Don't do that unless it's an old junker or if the previous owner already painted it with a one part paint. One part paints are nowhere near as durable, hard, hold their shine etc. Lot's of people, myself included, won't buy a boat, regardless of price or condition, if it's been painted using one part paint. Mainly because you have to totally remove the one part paint before you can do a proper job repainting with a quality two part paint. So, to sum up, you can save time and $$ now, doing it yourself, with a one part paint, but you'll lose all the saving and probably much more when you try to sell the boat and it'll take much longer to find a willing buyer! The rule of thumb is that if you can't do the job as it would be done by a quality boat yard you'll almost always reduce the value of your boat because the next guy will have to undo your work to redo it properly. My goal, even when customizing a boat, is to make it look as if it was done by the manufacturer... JMHO
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Excellent advice. Thanks DesertAlbin and BoatBoy.

Plan A is to get "the Pros" in Deale MD to provide prices to do a super job, and then live off of cans of baked beans and sardines for the winter season. (Don't know if the Commodore will be too pleased about this diet, but I'm willing to supplement with tomatoes and cucumbers - might even lose some weight)
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “General Discussion”