• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Importing a boat from Canada

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Importing a boat from Canada

Post by motthediesel »

I just though I'd post a brief note about our experience in importing an Albin from Canada to the US, in case someone else here might want to do it.

After looking at boats all over the Northeast from our home in Northern NY, we wound up buying a boat just across the St. Lawrence from us in Kingston Ontario. We were a bit nervous about importing the boat legally, but it turned out to be quite simple.

I first called our local Customs office a couple of times, and, as to be expected, I received conflicting information. Luckily, it's only ten miles from our house, so I decided to drive over there and show up in person. I had been told that we would need to secure the assistance of a customs broker, but I didn't think that was really necessary, and as it turned out, it wasn't.

I showed up with a file of downloaded forms that I had found online, and asked to see an agent who could help me fill them out. After being sent to a couple of different offices, I finally reached the right guy. The procedure for sailing the boat in (as we needed to do) is entirely different than bringing it in by trailer, so you have to be patient and steer through the system.

When I at last got where I needed to be, the folks were very helpful. As our boat is a 27 FC, built in Connecticut, there was no duty involved. And as the boat was old, there was no need for EPA paperwork. The one form we did need (beside a generic bill of sale) was five pages long and impossible for me to understand. So they just asked me to send them a fax of the bill of sale including the hull number, and they filled it out for me.

They also wanted a couple days lead-time for when we would bring it over, and a two hour window of when we would arrive at the public dock of our choosing. As it is now late in the year here, the dockside Customs Office was no longer open, so they agreed to meet us at the town dock in Alexandria Bay.

So that's what we did. As agreed, I called them when we were about 30 mins out from landing, and we arrived almost simultaneously with the officer. We showed him our passports, he verified the hull number, I signed one form (in triplicate) and we were done. Total cost? A few hours of research and prep, and zero dollars.

So if any US citizens are thinking of buying an Albin in Canada, don't be scared off by the paperwork. Sure, the may be some duty involved for a boat built in Sweden or Asia, but it is not a very difficult process.

Tom

Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Importing a boat from Canada

Post by Nancy »

Thanks, Tom. That's great information to have here.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Great post . Thank you!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Tom, Thanks for the info. I've seen several questions on here and on Trawler Forum on this predicament. You're going to love the 27FC. Ben '87 27FC, hull # 302.
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

similar story..our 27fc came out of British Columbia and the amount of mis-information was pretty spectacular till I finally got a line on how and what to do...which was similar to the above (once all the BS answers got cleared off). One thing was suggested that made sense was to have a title search done in Canada to make sure there were no liens attached. These boats are US built and therefore NAFTA keeps them duty free..don't let others tell you different! (a Taiwan or other country of origin outside NAFTA is more likely to be taxed). Oddly, the second time I came back to the states from a Canada trip I got a complete raft of shit from the Customs (clown) in Friday Harbor (he is no longer there) about the import...and by then months had passed and the boat was registered in Oregon...
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

These boats are US built and therefore NAFTA keeps them duty free..
I wonder what the difference in duties/tariffs would be to import an Albin 25 from Canada, which I believe with the possible exception of Vega sailboats is the only Albin that was actually built in Sweden? The 27FC and the TE boats were built in the US and the larger classic trawlers like the 33 & 36 were built in Taiwan. Our boat was home ported in Ontario at one time, and was imported by the folks in Idaho that we bought her from in 2014. They had acquired it in 2001 from the estate of the deceased Canadian owner who had brought it up from Florida and ran it on Lake Erie somewhere along the shore in western Ontario. We changed the name to La Dolce Vita from the name "Nowell's Ark" that the Idaho folks had christened it with, which was a word play on their last name.

I haven't spoken to AOG member "sunsetrider" in a while, but when we visited he and his wife in 2017 at the their place in Sharbot Lake, ON (wonderful Canadian hospitality!) and got a short boat ride on his A25 around a bit of the Thousand Islands near Gananoque where he docked his boat during summer seasons. He's been looking to upgrade to a larger trawler & sell his A25 "Manatee", which may still be up for sale as the listing in this ad appears to be active. Some may recall past threads he posted a few years ago on the A25/A27 forum about adding a large solar panel on the forward cabin roof. It was a nice boat, but with MD17C engine was shockingly loud compared to what we're used to with our boat's smaller Yanmar. Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet up again next summer if we do the Triangle Loop thing.

https://www.rightboat.com/gy/boats-for- ... e/rb268407

A25 manatee.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Oddly, the second time I came back to the states from a Canada trip I got a complete raft of shite from the Customs (clown) in Friday Harbor (he is no longer there) about the import...and by then months had passed and the boat was registered in Oregon...
Coolchange,

We've cruised most of the places you mention in your signature with exception of Columbia River & the Broughtons and never gotten any grief from US Customs about our boat's origin upon returning to the US. In 2014 we cleared back in at Roche Harbor, in 2016 we cleared in at Friday Harbor, 2018 & this year we cleared in at Point Roberts. One thing about Point Roberts that's changed this year is that it's no longer manned & you have to use the CBP ROAM smartphone app and clear in via video chat. Which can be challenging because it's tough to get a good cell signal at the Point Roberts marina. Otherwise you'd have to go on to Roche or Friday Harbor, which we didn't want to do this year because we were going from Winter Cove on Saturna straight to Blaine to haul out.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “General Discussion”