• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Ballard Locks

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

ESpiegel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabeck, WA

Ballard Locks

Post by ESpiegel »

I went through the Ballard locks today with the new boat. This was my first time through and was a little stressful, mainly due to my lack of experience handling the single engine inboard and the strong current. The small boat lock was was closed, so we had to go through the commercial lock. Kinda cool, but during the summer it’s probably a madhouse with lotsa boats (and alcohol). I’m taking the boat to a service place to get the engine pulled and somemuch needed maintenance done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Ballard Locks

Post by WillieC »

You survived! Nicely done. And a fine day in the PNW for it.
We haven't made that trip yet, we stick to the west side of the sound but it may be in our future, just for the thrill of it.

You are right about the summer madness. We stop just to watch whenever we get the opportunity, trips to Fisheries and Seamar, usually. Watched a woman on one of the big toys drop her five pound diamond ring in the drink. Ah well...
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Isn't locking fun!?! We're looking forward to (possibly) doing a 'triangle loop cruise" this coming summer in which just the Rideau Canal segment alone between Kingston & Ottowa, ON consists of 126 miles & 47 lock transits. Not to mention all the locks (haven't counted them all up) on the Oswego (7 locks), St Lawrence, Ottowa River, Richelieu, Champlain, and Erie canals.
triangleloopmap.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipvtOo6DNJ4&t=56s

We've done 22 lock transits on the Erie Canal (11 each way up & back) back in 2015 (has it been nearly 5 years ago already?). One difference I notice from your photos is that the Erie locks have lines hanging down that you can grab onto & hold as the boat goes up or down. Are those dock lines yours or were they already there?

DSCN2379.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
ESpiegel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ESpiegel »

When in the commercial dock, they want you to have 50’ lines to accommodate the +13’ tides in the sound. The small boat lock has a raft you tie to that goes up and down with the water level.
ESpiegel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ESpiegel »

WillieC wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:17 am You survived! Nicely done. And a fine day in the PNW for it.
We haven't made that trip yet, we stick to the west side of the sound but it may be in our future, just for the thrill of it.

You are right about the summer madness. We stop just to watch whenever we get the opportunity, trips to Fisheries and Seamar, usually. Watched a woman on one of the big toys drop her five pound diamond ring in the drink. Ah well...
Where are you in the canal? I live in Seabeck and as soon as my boat maintenance is complete, I’ll bring it to the Seabeck Marina.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We have some long halyard lines left over from our sailboat days that are probably close to 50 ft long, plus a reel of close to 200 ft of yellow floating poly line we use for stern ties. Check out that YouTube video link above. Bareboat chartering one of those Le Boat rentals on the Rideau would be an awesome vacation if not willing or able to haul one's own boat up there.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Once again, lost another reply...Try again.

We are between Twanoh and Belfair state parks way down around the Great Bend.

Let us know when you are established at Seabeck and we will drop in.

The WillieC is on her trailer undergoing winter projects. Hope to test run it in a few more weeks, maybe after the February two foot snowfall.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Check out the lock at the Hughe Keenleyside Dam on the Arrow Lake, BC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPnY1G5qrtw
Hull No. 1013, 1971

Return to “General Discussion”