• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cruising the Columbia From Clarkston, WA to Pacific

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

Cruising the Columbia From Clarkston, WA to Pacific

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

Beginning planning to make this trip down the Columbia in my Albin 28 this August. Looking for insights and advice from members who have made this trip.

Thanks,
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Re: Cruising the Columbia From Clarkston, WA to Pacific

Post by coolchange »

It's a long way and if you can do it after the Salmon run you won't have to dodge so many boats. get your mind set to watch out for wing dams, sunken pilings (dolphins) and floating debris (logs mostly)...should be a great trip.
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

I had not thought about the fishing boat traffic at all. Thanks for the pointer!
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Just for fun, make a side trip to Oregon City on the Willamette River at the height of fishing raft up season. Bring beer.
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

Sounds like a rock’n good time!!

I did look at the Willamette River charts which go up about 50 miles. What’s up there to see?
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Portland, urban and rural. Haven't done it myself, but worked in Portland all my career. Come to think of it, the rural part of the Willamette is beyond the falls at Oregon City. So portage! You'd see industrial at the mouth, Portland proper, then espensivo houses most of the way to Oregon City.

For another rockin' good time, catch Portland at Rose Festival time. US and Canadian ships tied up at the seawall with CG and Harbor patrol trying to maintain order. If you have time, there's nothing like being on the water to get a different look at familiar places. Just like us on the Salish Sea.
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

I don't think they update this much but it is an interesting bit to look at for your trip.

https://www.oregon.gov/osmb/forms-libra ... aGuide.pdf

I should also note that I am moored at the marina by the Willamette falls..and yes this is as far as you go for now...they have a plan to re-open the locks to the upper river but so far as I know no date yet.

I am very familiar with the river to the Columbia and the Columbia from Govt Island to "across the Bar"..lots of great boating and lots of idiots with boats (fortunately the idiots tend to flock close to each other so this negative is not too big a deal..you can learn to love wakeboard boats ...not)

While planning be sure to check out local music ...towns like St. Johns, St. Helens, Vancouver, Lake Oswego and of course Portland have waterfront music all summer long...slips can get tight but you can always anchor close by and dinghy.

If you are a "Yacht Club" member there are lots of others along the river that might offer free reciprocal moorage...but most moorage/docks are free anyway...just no power or water...you can get a list of members from the Columbia River Yacht Asso. (I think that's right)

FYI..I took my brother from Cathlamet WA to Astoria (fresh from a raft trip on the Yukon River from Arctic on south ) and he said he was seeing way less folks and felt more "isolated" ....so there's that

Also, might want to take a look at a book: Water Horse by Wm Least Heat Moon...about a bit of this river system
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

"Also, might want to take a look at a book: Water Horse by Wm Least Heat Moon...about a bit of this river system."

Great suggestion. One of the first books I ever "heard", listened to, on NPR was Blue Highways. I'll check it out. Thanks!
derekja
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Victoria, bc

Post by derekja »

Oh cool, I liked Blue Highways. Ordered it, but found it is actually "River Horse" rather than water horse. Thanks for the book recommendation!
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

Thanks Coolchange for the info and book recommendation. I will look it up!!
Best,
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA

Return to “General Discussion”