• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Impossible topside paint question

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Impossible topside paint question

Post by DCatSea »

I just know I'm going to catch some grief with this question, BUT, can anyone tell me the "original" colour used for the topsides of early model 27FCs?
My "Big Job" for Fall is to repaint the top bits, but my colour perception, especially of "whites" is AFU so I might end up with a yellowish boat, or worse a greenish one. I'm tempted to say the original is Oyster, but it may be something entirely different (mussel?) for all I know.

I'm not doing the hull, which is in very good shape considering its age (like me, so I'm told)

This is a job that I've been putting off for a while (the excuse - weather). Yes, I'll do a good job of prepping and use 2-part-poxy, but if the colour's all wrong .......!!!!

Might even have it "done", but only in emergency, although the idea of putting her under covers for a facelift is appealing.

All inputs welcomed. Thanks.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Impossible topside paint question

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Can't answer your specific question on color, but IMO you can't go wrong with white. Otherwise, collect a bunch of color swatches & compare. A27's weren't built in Sweden like the A25's, & so it's an apples vs oranges (the fruit, not the color) comparison, but the A25 OEM color was a beige leaning toward slight yellow tint. We did our topsides last year in April, '19. It had been sloppily brush painted once years before & was overdue for TLC, so may not have been the original deck color, but here's what before and after looked like.
DSCN3633.JPG
20190420_105321.jpg
20190424_124915.jpg
20190505_121641.jpg
I had the work partially professionally done at a friend's sailboat yard operation up at Lake Pleasant as I don't have a good place to work where we keep the boat. For one, while I'm sure my landlord wouldn't mind me working on it there, I wouldn't have access to electric to run a sander or air compressor, and two, it's a quite dusty dirt lot (out here if it ain't paved or irrigated nothing grows but a few weeds). But for $50 a month & 2 miles from home & 15 miles from the lake I can't complain. I was actually able to save some on labor because the yard owner was running behind schedule & allowed me to help with the sanding & painting. For both the topside & bottom paint job he only charged $1,350 for labor with me supplying the paint. I gave him $1,500 because he busted his ass working on it as we had to do a lot of sanding on the deck to strip the old paint & get rid of brush marks & more than earned the $1,500. Besides that, it was a great deal of work removing & replacing deck fittings & applying masking tape. We applied the paint with 'roll & tip' method. Hint: use short nap rollers, not foam ones.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

DA
Do you recommend “sand beige” or “oyster white” of the color swatches linked below??

Did you use this rustoleum paint of which brand of paint??

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal ... side-paint
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Thanks DA and OldDemps. I'm leaning towards Oyster, but the OED is more like a Lite-Cream White. I guess I'm gonna have to get all the "whitish" swatches I can, and new glasses. I'm in no huge rush, so this will be an on-going project, at least until next lay-up after this years sea time.

I guess my main question should be: One-part or Two-part Epoxy?? I know the arguments about hardness and UV protection, color retention, etc and the classic "Will anyone buy a boat that's one-part epoxied" (not that I'm thinking of selling), but what's the real answer? I'm sure that AOGers might be divided on this.

My skill level with a roller and brush are probably as good as any, so I'm open to suggestions (Not sure about Awlgripping her myself, though.)
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

A really good point a vendor made about two-part paint is that once it's mixed it is one part paint. Then again that was barrier coat... I think ease of repair should be near the top of the list. Watch out for paints with names like '....sides' in them. Read the fine print, they belong on SIDES of boats. They don't do well with water pooling on them. Thus, Bilgekote on my hardtop.

Return to “General Discussion”