• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thru hulls

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: San Diego Ca

Thru hulls

Post by 195752 »

My new to me 28TE concerns me with having all deck drains full of water at aft deck lev el. It seems risky? Also have the two large thru hulls that are frozen open. Has anyone had flooding problems with the drains and also freeing up thru hulls? The bilges are such a tight space to work in. I just sold my Jefferson 42 with Cummins engines in a large engine room. Quite a difference!
Thanks for your comments. Roy H
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Thru hulls

Post by Norseman »

195752 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:48 am My new to me 28TE concerns me with having all deck drains full of water at aft deck lev el. It seems risky? Also have the two large thru hulls that are frozen open. Has anyone had flooding problems with the drains and also freeing up thru hulls? The bilges are such a tight space to work in. I just sold my Jefferson 42 with Cummins engines in a large engine room. Quite a difference!
Your main concern is of course the sea cocks frozen open (you said 2 large thru hulls, you meant sea cocks, or sea valves..?)
The aft deck drainage plumbing on the 28TE may be a bit flimsy, but seems to work except when the weather is hose slips off the barb and all the drainage water from the plumbed hatch Channels go in the bilge instead of overboard. :shock:
Fixed it twice, will keep an eye on it every few weeks, but if all your 3 automatic bilge pumps are working, and if the batteries are good, it should not be a safety problem.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Norseman wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:28 pm
195752 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:48 am My new to me 28TE concerns me with having all deck drains full of water at aft deck lev el. It seems risky? Also have the two large thru hulls that are frozen open. Has anyone had flooding problems with the drains and also freeing up thru hulls? The bilges are such a tight space to work in. I just sold my Jefferson 42 with Cummins engines in a large engine room. Quite a difference!
Your main concern is of course the sea cocks frozen open (you said 2 large thru hulls, you meant sea cocks, or sea valves..?)
The aft deck drainage plumbing on the 28TE may be a bit flimsy, but seems to work except when the aft hose slips off the barb and all the drainage water from the plumbed hatch Channels go in the bilge instead of overboard. :shock:
Fixed it twice, will keep an eye on it every few weeks, but if all your 3 automatic bilge pumps are working, and if the batteries are good, it should not be a safety problem.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Having recently replaced most of my thru hulls, and being exceedingly value conscious, I'd just like to share that Hodges Marine has been consistently the best price for Groco thru hulls. Free shipping and no tax to boot.
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “General Discussion”