• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Flow Scan Meter

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flow Scan Meter

Post by rangoons »

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what it costs to have a fuel flow scan meter installed. Someone told me its a couple of grand? From August until mid November. I put on about 60 hours and averaged less than 3.5 GPH. I use the boat mainly for fishing so once I get out to the grounds I do alot of trolling.
Rangoons
tomcat rio

i would think $2000.00

Post by tomcat rio »

parts an labor would be what you should plan on.
you can save some by intatlling the gage and running the wires to the sensors on the fuel line. my best jugement said let the shop cut the fuel lines and install the sensors.
my average fuel consunption ('93 albin 28, 2006 310 peninsular) is about 3.6 gph. the flowscan tell me my actual consumption at cruise ( 15-16 kts, 2800-2900 rpm) is between 9 and 11 gph.
...Image
see link,
http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/generators.php
rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rangoons »

Thanks for the reply. I would liketo start going farther off shore and would like to know exactly what I have left to burn.
Rangoons
tomcat rio

i would limit myself to 50 miles offshore...

Post by tomcat rio »

...in an albin 28 with 132 gallons. using 1.5 nmi/gal and a 35% reserve as a reference. if you topped off before and after, and computed actual nmi/gal, your estimated safe range might increase to maybe 70 miles, but certianly no more than that.
rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rangoons »

Thanks again. Not to sound stupid, if I follow your calcs with a range of 70 you mean 70 out plus 70 back in?
Rangoons
tomcat rio

thats correct, rangoons....

Post by tomcat rio »

total milage of 140. with a prudent reserve.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Use the law of thirds. One third out, one third back, and one third for weather.

And DO NOT trust your fuel gauge. I learned that one the hard way.

Return to “General Discussion”