• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Compton 33 Express

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Compton 33 Express

Post by RobS »

Due to its Albin ancestry I figured it would be worth posting here for any feedback. I searched and read posts from a couple years ago but there wasn't much, not much here on AOG or anywhere else on the web. I guess that's due to the limited production. Now that they are starting to age a bit they are coming down into a somewhat reasonable price bracket. Not loving the built in cockpit seating, would rather have a dance floor cockpit like the the bigger TE's and the 35CB's. Any feedback is appreciated, firsthand, secondhand, etc.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Re: Compton 33 Express

Post by JackK »

Terry Compton designed and built a few of these boats. The first one spent a while in my marina. It had a very unique dinghy storage compartment below the cockpit. I talked with Terry a couple of times about the boat but as Rob mentioned, they were very expensive at the time. His timing seemed to be lousy because the boat market tanked shortly after he got up and going.

I believe they only made a few of these boats - maybe 6 or so.

For those that may not know, Terry designed the Albin TE line. Very nice guy to sit and talk with about boats.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

There is a 2006 33 Compton for sale on boat trader in Bourne Maine. Buzzards Bay Yachts 888-399-4479
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

I've seen this at boat show's in the past. Always thought they were a little overpriced for the build quality. One thing I didn't like was the captain's chair "bolted down" in the center of the cabin if I remember correctly. In rough seas, I thought it might eventually break making it difficult. If I was looking for a bigger boat, I'd still be looking single screw. I think the one we saw was a twin. Problem though would be draft issues on the south shore of LI.
Resolution 28TE
Gery, Anne, Marissa and Gabby.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackK »

This came from the original Compton Marine website ... I found a cached version of the page ...

Terry Compton - Compton Marine is named after co-founder and chief designer Terence Compton, a 40-year industry veteran and one of the most successful production boat designers in the world. Successes in Europe include Solaris Catamarans, Catfisher, Fairway Marine, Aristocat and Corvette Marine. Terry was recruited by No Fuel, Inc. in 1981 to design a new line of catamarans. Since arriving in the U.S. he has been involved with many exclusive catamaran designs and was employed by Logical Boat Co. to design and develop the Logical 43 and 46 catamarans. In 1984 he became chief designer for Albin Marine and is responsible for the redesign of the Albin 27 and the designs of the Albin 34, 34 Motor yacht, 32, 35, 28, 275, 32+2 (now called 35), 31, 33+3(now called 36). Thousands of his boats are in use throughout the world providing his customers years and years of boating pleasure.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

JackK: Nice history on Terry Compton. Thank you.
whwells "Howard"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

This is the first I've heard of these and what a cracking boat it looks. I've also been doing a bit of research and found that Terence Compton also designed the Corvette 32 (not sure if they are made Stateside) they were quite successful here.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

An Albin 33+3 now called the 36? News to me.

Yes the "portable" captain's seat caught my eye right away. In the pictures it was now you see it, now you don't. Curious to get a better understanding of that and see how secure it is and how portable it is. Could have benefits but clearly could be problematic as well.

At first I thought she was a bit of a fuel hog but a quantum powered 31TE is only giving you around 1nm per gal and this is more boat going 5-6 knots faster so it's not too bad. Twin skeg protected running gear, now that is cool, and a 3'7 draft is not problematic.

Going to see one this week. Here's some info I was able to dig up on the web.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackK »

When I talked to Terry about the Compton 33 he told me windshield glass which has a unique bowed shape was very hard to source and he had to import it from overseas. Probably another contributing factor to the pricing - he was putting his name on the boat after all those years designing for others.

RobS - If you like the Compton, you might try looking at a Back Cove 33 or 37. There is a Back Cove docked behind me at the moment that was just purchased by a couple from CT. They are staying around to get everything set for the journey home. The boat is a 37 and it is beautiful. Very nicely laid out and I really like the galley setup. The bench seat at the stern was a killer though because it is molded in and would definitely be in the way for fishing. Again its a pricey boat but not unexpected from the Sabre line.

Jack
Ddurbeck

Post by Ddurbeck »

Does anyone know how to contact Terry Compton? I'm a new owner of a Compton 33 and am looking to replace the Compton decals on the stern and have other questions.
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

Post by gfuller »

If anyone comes across one of these for sale it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know. We're looking to upgrade and have not found a better layout for the price.
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE
patti@seacoast
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Santa Barbara

Post by patti@seacoast »

gfuller wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:22 pm If anyone comes across one of these for sale it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know. We're looking to upgrade and have not found a better layout for the price.
Hi, we have a Compton 33 Down East 2004 coming to market at Seacoast Yachts next week. Check out our website if interested. Thanks!

Return to “General Discussion”