• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The Dinghy Thread

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

What Kind of Dinghy Do You Have?

PVC inflatable
29%
Hypalon inflatable
39%
Wood
4%
Fiberglass
18%
Metal
No votes
Other
3%
I don't need a Dinghy
3%
Kayak/paddle board or other repurposed watercraft
5%

Total votes: 105

JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

The Dinghy Thread

Post by JT48348 »

This is the dinghy thread.
This is where we can pontificate on the beauty of your dinghy.
Not to be confused with the What kind of Dinghy Thread

Personally, I like dinghies. I think they're very interesting. Its the go anywhere, do anything, work horse of a boater. I like unusual dinghies. Plastic, rubber, wood, or FRG. A man or woman's dinghy says a lot about them. Long and sleek, short and fat. Bristol decks sides, or third world paintjob. How you carry your dinghy says a lot about how you go through life. :D

Every dinghy has a story.
Every dinghy has adventure tale to tell.
What's your dingy? And how are you carrying it?

This is a dinghy I acquired over Christmas bargain shopping. A 1965 Whistler sailboat 11', converted by someone into a dinghy. It appears to be bullet proof and heavy. The owner guessed 125lbs? I think he's being conservative, I'd say closer to 150-200.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: The Dinghy Thread

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The dinghy that came with our A25 when we bought it last March is an 8 ft Canadian made Boatex faux lapstrake fiberglass dinghy complete with mast, sail, rudder and daggerboard. I believe it's a 1992 model. The company went out of business in 2006, so they're no l longer made. It stows neatly on the stern swim platform via Weaver snap davits. I added the name of our boat, "La Dolce Vita" in vinyl letters on the bottom of the dinghy so when viewed from astern you can see the name of our boat. It motors well with a 2.5 HP Tohatsu outboard. I also have the option of using a 30 lb thrust electric trolling motor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
george.publow
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Picton, Ontario

Post by george.publow »

I have a wooden 8' "Nutshell" pram which I built from Woodenboat plans. I built it some years ago because it fit very nicely upside down over the cabin of our Albin 25. I wanted to carry it there when we trailered our boat from Toronto to Nova Scotia where we explored the Bras D'or Lakes (and ate our fill of lobster). It is quite light and could be easily lifted on to the deck.
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

This is my set up and works well. The outboard under the orange cover is a British Seagull 2hp that always starts and runs well and is a lot faster than rowing.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I hope you were just 'on the beach' cuz the tide was out! And I thought the tide range in the US & Canadian Pacific Northwest was large! But I guess that's why a lot of UK boats, especially sailboats, have bilge keels. Didn't know there was a Boston in England.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
denchen
First Mate
First Mate

Post by denchen »

This picture was taken on a sand bank in The Wash. Yep I live in Boston England, `the place where The Pilgrim Fathers` started from after we let them out of jail. I put her on the sand bank to fit a weed/rope cutter to the prop shaft. For interest we typically get tides here around 7 metres and in The Wash you need to know what you are doing due to moving sand banks strong currents and heavy seas. The North Sea `my area` can be character building if you get it wrong.
denchen
First Mate
First Mate

Post by denchen »

Stardust does`nt have bilge keels, you can see my wooden sea legs near the wheel house.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

The Whistler 1965 is a real beauty. Nice conversion.
whwells "Howard"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

I love the faux lapstrake dinghy. If only they made a A25/A27 with the faux lapstrake. I think there's a boat called a M***? 27 that's a Swedish style downeaster or motorsailer.

Here's more photos of the whistler lifeboat. I will be curious to see how it works with a small outboat and oars.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

denchen
First Mate
First Mate

Post by denchen »

For a nice boat I like the Oselvar. When the boat builder got it right they built bigger versions called Viking Narrow Boats and raided the north of Great Britian and other countries.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

:D
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

We were in beautiful Katama Bay, Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard. Just goofing off, we dragged our Mercury inflatable as far as we could to the breach through the barrier beach with a friends boat. Santosha was comfortably moored back a few miles in Edgartown. If you look closely you can spot his 32 Intrepid w-a-y in the distance.
Six people in a 8'9" inflatable???? Why not!!!
It so happens a professional photographer from the Island was with her kids on the barrier beach. When we finally beached, she came over and told us she got a great shot. She sent it to me......kind of funny.

BTW, the water was only about 3-4 feet deep in that area.
Norton Point 1.png
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Cape Codder: Nice packing of the dingy!
whwells "Howard"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

That's not a RIB.

This is a RIB I had for my 30' sailboat :D

13' Brig BAMF

You don't tow it. IT tows you!

Return to “General Discussion”