• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The Dinghy Thread

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

What Kind of Dinghy Do You Have?

PVC inflatable
29%
Hypalon inflatable
39%
Wood
4%
Fiberglass
18%
Metal
No votes
Other
3%
I don't need a Dinghy
3%
Kayak/paddle board or other repurposed watercraft
5%

Total votes: 105

JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Re: The Dinghy Thread

Post by JT48348 »

tego wrote:Joe, Looking good! At 78 lbs, she'll be about 30 lbs lighter than mine. That's one of the drawbacks of mine- I can't carry her on my back anymore without some major straining. Getting older is a bitch! Ben
Thanks everyone! Ben, question for you: how are your seat brackets attached to the side of the boat? Are they screwed or thru-bolted to the rubrail--from the inside out, or outside in?

Thanks
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Joe, My seat brackets are screwed into the rubrail/gunnel from the inside. My gunnel is about 1" thick, so is pretty strong. Your PVC might require thru-bolts. You can countersink them a little so they're flush on the outside or use a dinghy fabric or rubber rubrail over the outside edge. With your weight concerns, I think I'd countersink them just below flush and that would still protect everything. Besides, that dang dinghy rubrail is expensive stuff! Ben
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Working the rubrail. Finishing touches to sand the rub rail, put in a nice curve, and patch any errors with epoxy. PVC bonds well with epoxy provided the surface is sanded and clean. It can then be sculpted to get the look you want.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Slow but steady progress on the Dyer ultralight dinghy. The interior has been painted with regular Rustoleum enamel. I used the marine topside version on the big boat and decided to see how the regular Rustoleum will hold up in the dinghy. The biggest difference in the two paints appears to be thickness out of the can. The marine topside appears thinner out of the can but both lay down nearly identical.

The trick with Rustoleum is have a dry low humidity work area. Low humidity is much more important than temp I've found. If ithe air is dry the paint is tack free in about 5-6 hours and sandable in 24. It looks great. I will be doing the hull red in similar paint.

The primer is same as on the A27, Zinser cover stain.

The PVC rub rail took paint really well and looks very factory up close.

Bronze fittings polished and clear coated.

Non skid is SoftSand applied to gray Rustoleum. Excellent results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

For JT48348: A Lapstrake sister of the Albin-25 :)

This Norwegian Yanmar-powered Motor Cruiser is berthed on the Oslo Fiord at Drobak, Norway. An outing on the Fiord 7 yearts ago had a lot to do with my wife and I switching from a 29ft cruising yawl to our Albin-25. The fellow in blue is Skipper, Oyvind watching as his vessel is put up for winter storage in his yard overlooking the Fiord.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Look at that. Nice one, any idea what it is?
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Rustoleum enamel Regal Red. Three thin coats to get solid coverage. Some slight orange peel which I will be addressing in the final coat.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The trick with Rustoleum is have a dry low humidity work area. Low humidity is much more important than temp I've found. If ithe air is dry the paint is tack free in about 5-6 hours and sandable in 24. It looks great. I will be doing the hull red in similar paint.
Looking good! If it's low humidity you're looking for, come on out to the Desert Southwest. On a warm, dry, sunny day humidity levels in Central Arizona deserts hover around +/- 10% & in early summer before our so-called "monsoon" season starts in July & August the dew points can be in the 20s & 30's. We wake up each morning to dry grass, no dew on the ground. Not right now of course, it's been a fairly wet winter here so far. One of our sailboater friends out here owns a Dyer Dhow, they're nice dinks.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Finished dinghy. This was a good test run for the paint job on the A27. I will be using the same color scheme and Rustoleum paint.

After a lot of experimenting and research with the paint I determined it's not really worth the effort of trying to completely remove the orange peel as it's very hard to see at the 5' rule.

Not sure of the final dinghy weight as there's still snow on the ground but I'm hoping it's close to 80lbs
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Looks great Joe,
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Great looking dink Joe. You'll love the way she rows. Ben
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

The dingy looks great and I'm really loving the homemade graphics! Something else to look into!! :D
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Thanks! For all the feedback. Very pleased with the results
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Beautiful! A far cry from those earlier photos of the way it was when you first got hold of it. So, now that it's finished, how do you plan to carry it? Tow behind, lift davits, snap davits, or crane up onto the roof top?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

I think the dinghy can be towed & carried on the swim platform if need be. And it can be craned up on the hardtop using my mast/boom.

But what I'm really experimenting with is the idea of "rolling" it up onto the hardtop. When I construct my hard top next winter I'm going to install rollers at the end of the aft hardtop and swim platform. The plan is to lift the bow onto the swim platform then onto the hardtop edge, then roll it into place on the hardtop onto a preset "cradle" where the dinghy can be secured.

Return to “General Discussion”