• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Peninsular Diesel

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

fighterpilot
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Florida

Peninsular Diesel

Post by fighterpilot »

Some of the Albin 28s have the Peninsular Diesel in them. What kind of reputation do they have. Are parts available? Expensive, like Volvo? Thanks

Ignore this post. I did some searching, like I should have done before the post, and found the letters GM mentioned to many times for this engine. And I have owned two different boats with Yanmars. I will pass and look for a Cummins. Thanks.
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Re: Peninsular Diesel

Post by John_Madison CT »

Very reliable engines. You can get any part by tomorrow if you pay overnight shipping. Every part is available through PeninsularDiesel.com
Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Copiague, NY

Post by Dexter »

I just had to comment on this thread. Peninsulars are very good engines, simple to work on, parts are very reasonably priced and the people at peninsular diesel are very helpful. People believe this nonsense that these engines are a problem. I guess Cummins never self destruct. CAT diesel never had a bad line of engines and VOVLO parts are inexpensive. I replaced my peninsula engines with peninsular engines. Had one go bad but my other was still running with over 3000 hours. I replaced both because I just wanted two fresh engines. I put two diesel engines in for less than one Cummins. I can blow these two up and replace them both and it would still be cheaper than one set of Cummins engines. Sorry, just had to comment.
Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dexter »

Oh, forgot to mention Yanmar. We all know that they are tough engines, overheat one and let me know how tough they are with all that aluminum. Not to mention that every 1000 hours you have to change the timing belt or there is a good chance that it will break and smoke the engine. When I bay tested my boat the starboard engine had a bad freeze out plug. The coolant was gone as a result. The engine temp climbed over 220 degrees during the test. I bought the boat because it was cheap and I was planning on re-powering anyway. I didn't have to for another 2 years until the port engine failed. The one that overheated was the one that was still running when I re-powered. BTW, Peninsular tried talking me out of getting the second engine. They said that if the starboard engine is still running why take it out. Great people over there and honest.
fighterpilot
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fighterpilot »

Dexter, I may have to reconsider the Peninsular-if you can get two of them for the price of one Cummins that is impressive. I'm in the panhandle of Fl. so will do a quick check on availability. Don't know about size but assume they aren't any larger than a comparable Cummins. Thanks
Pete
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pete »

Fighter Pilot, I can tell you, I bought my Albin with Penninsular last year, anyone who had a negative comment about them didn't ever own one. I was dead set against them until the sea trial,The boat ran perfectly ,the mechanic I hired for a separate Engine survey said he "hates these engines"but after hours of checking injectors and engine temp and wot for 15 minutes, oil analysis should "some wear from age", it's a 19 year old engine,good luck, I love my Penninsula!ps The surveyor had done two recent surveys on 28te with yanmars, both failed due to some kind of exhaust elbow issue, they couldn't pass the wot test after a few minutes,
fighterpilot
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fighterpilot »

I am probably influenced by our experience with the last boats twin 3208NA Cat engines and the TD502 tx.. Although people say good things about the old Cat when you need maintenance the parts are expensive for the engine and the Trans. is obsolete. A nightmare for service and parts. A GM diesel that "mechanics hate" may be OK as long as they work, but when they need maintenance that is a problem I don't want to experience again. Maybe I can buy two Peninsulars for the price of one Cummins, but finding a mech. and paying for the cost of replacing the engines twice is more than I want to take on. Maybe if the boat is discounted greatly because of the GM engines it would be worth considering. I will try to keep an open mind. Thanks
Pete
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pete »

I found a good mechanic that has no trouble working on my engine(preventative maintenance) has not needed any actual repairs, Good luck
Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dexter »

The only maintenance the diesel engines need are oil, fuel filters, zincs and water pump impellers. I can't understand the problem. I just changed my raw water pump in under 45 minutes. Try that on a Cummins.
Pete
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pete »

Amen Brother.....
earpoper1
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Martinez CA

Post by earpoper1 »

what is a good all around rpm to run at ? my last boat was a gas motor and I ran at 3200 rpm's but I am not sure with the Peninsular diesel ?
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

I've been running my 300hp Penninsular at 2800-3000, as a cruising speed, seems to be a good range
earpoper1
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Martinez CA

Post by earpoper1 »

Pedro wrote:I've been running my 300hp Penninsular at 2800-3000, as a cruising speed, seems to be a good range
Thank you much :D
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Well, having watched the comments over the years on the Beast I agree with all the favorable comments. I have spoken with the people who service these and they are plain helpful. There was a 31 beauty with two blown engines in the SF South Bay area that just would not sell. I came close to making the plunge but had no one there I knew personally to take on the engine project change.
I would not be reluctant now after years of watching the posting.
Having said that I loved me former 35te twin 315 Yanmar's and even more so my current twin Cummins 500 hp electronics that do "sip fuel"
whwells "Howard"
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bridgeport CT (Miamogue)

Post by Neil »

The fellow who is rebuilding our injector pump is a lifelong diesel mechanic from Hungary. Teaches diesel mechanics. Had a lot of very hard opinions about engines through the last 3 decades. Said its the same GM engine in the humvee and suburban. It's better than the earlier models from the late 80s early 90s because of some military intervention on crappy electronic blablaa way over my head. At the end of the day seems like a solid motor. Will let you know. Plan to own the boat for 9 years. To be continued!

Return to “General Discussion”