• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How do I find build evidence to change operational endorseme

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

addon323
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Ann Marina, Gloucester, MA

Re: How to find build evidence for my 1999 Albin 28 TE

Post by addon323 »

Kevin- I hear you about the coastwise and the fisheries endorsement, very frustrating.....

I was reviewing the Documentation FAQ ( http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp ) and found the waiver company. However after reading it further, it might not work since it is for a passenger vessel. I will call Linda soon and see if there is another avenue to pursue.

HOW DO I GET A COASTWISE WAIVER FOR A SMALL PASSENGER VESSEL?
The Maritime Administration grants small passenger vessel waivers for operation in the coastwise trade. For further information, please go to Maritime Administration Small Vessel Waiver Program <http://www.marad.dot.gov/ships_shipping ... Waiver.htm> or contact Linda Williams at (202) 366-0903, Thelma Goldring at (202) 366-5186, or Michael Pucci at (202) 366-5167.
Family Ties
2000 31' Albin w/ Single Cummins 450 HP
addon323
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How do I find build evidence to change operational endor

Post by addon323 »

Here is information if you want a coastwise waiver for a small passenger vessel. I believe this is method to get the endorsement without having a build evidence.

The Maritime Administration grants small passenger vessel waivers for operation in the coastwise trade. For further information, please go to Maritime Administration Small Vessel Waiver Program <http://www.marad.dot.gov/ships_shipping ... Waiver.htm> or contact Linda Williams at (202) 366-0903, Thelma Goldring at (202) 366-5186, or Michael Pucci at (202) 366-5167.

Does anyone have another method to get the fisheriers endorsement without supplying a build evidence?

Or does anyone else know how to get the "original build evidence"
Family Ties
paulamaxim
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stonington, Maine

Post by paulamaxim »

Lots of great discussion here. I hope we all can find more information to get a build certificate!
1st Mate Paula Maxim & Capt. Tom Duarte
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

Can you go to the original owner to see if they have the original build certificate?
If the boat was CG documented by the orig owner, then you can trace the current docs back to them. We did this to find the title for an outboard on our dinghy.

Enter your boat name and see how far it takes you.
http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGu ... yName.html
addon323
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by addon323 »

drbob wrote:Can you go to the original owner to see if they have the original build certificate?
If the boat was CG documented by the orig owner, then you can trace the current docs back to them. We did this to find the title for an outboard on our dinghy.

I have tried to find the original owner but unfortunately I have been unsuccessful. I am the fourth owner and was the one who documented the boat. All previous owners had the vessel state registered.

It would be nice if we found someone from Albin that could trace the hull number to the original owner.... Wishful thinking :)
Family Ties
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

drbob wrote:Can you go to the original owner to see if they have the original build certificate?

I bought my boat from the original owner who did not document the boat, but registered it with the state of NY, who I am told took the build certificate in exchange for a state title. The title along with a notorized statement from the original owner and selling Albin dealer was not good enough for the Coast Guard documentation office. Still chasing my tail and have pretty much given up on a Fisheries endorsement.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

Interesting thread.

A couple of possible options are to follow the trail of company ownership and
see if the original records still exist somewhere, given the trail of out of
business companies this could be problematic to say the least.

Another option appears to be to locate someone who worked at the factory at the time
who is able to attest to the build. Standish has a long history and may know of a
place to start.

"Evidence that a vessel was built in the U.S. is required for a vessel which is to be used in the fisheries or coastwise trade. Build evidence is normally established by submitting a Builder's Certification on form CG-1261. That form must be completed by the person who constructed or oversaw the construction of the vessel or an official of the company that built the vessel who has examined the records of the company to determine the facts of build."
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Good thread, I planned to Document, register the Albin to my LLC as owner and use my ticket to do the occasional charter.
Guess I have to re-think, and/or do a lot of chasing around to make it happen:((
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

Did you notice that Albin is now back building the 28 TE? The 2015 is being advertised ($195K).

<>

The Albin Story:><
"...looked for a new strategic partner for the renewed construction of the Albin 28, the most popular of all the Albin’s, and reconnected with their previous plant manager Joe Daponte, now president of C & C Composites. C & C also builds North Coast Boats and hold building contracts with Hunt, J Boats and Vanquish. Albin granted C & C a license to build the Albin 28."

"... Albin management and strategic partners express their thanks to the past and future Albin family of owners, suppliers and partners. Interested persons may contact Albin Marine or <> Yacht Sales for more information or for assistance in creating their next perfect boat or yacht. Email ><

* Albin Yachts * Albin Yacht Sales
A Division of<>
Perhaps, with the former Albin plant manager, you have a shot at getting your build certificate.

Bob
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How do I find build evidence to change operational endorseme

Post by Norseman »

Bump...
No solution yet?
I am about to buy a 28TE and run charters with it,
Have not called the USCG yet, but have a feeling they may ask for the Certificate of Orign. I asked the present owner, he does not think it came with his boat.
My previous boat was bought brand new and it came with it.
Guess I have to prove where the Albin was built, should not be that hard.
Lots of old Albin articles and reviews floating around the internet where they reference the location of the factory. (Rhode Island?)
paulamaxim
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stonington, Maine

Post by paulamaxim »

I am interested in this information addorn323
1st Mate Paula Maxim & Capt. Tom Duarte
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

My documentation has the manufactured origin documented. If the vessel has ever been documented the Coast Guard keeps the records for the history of the vessel. Mine was CF'ed and I switched it back to documented and it is the same number that was issued the very first time. Give the Coast Guard a call and check it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

You're absolutely correct Mike. If a vessel is documented "with build evidence" provided then that record will always be on file and can be recovered. Addon did some digging with the Coast Guard and found that his vessel had been documented earlier with build evidence on file. He now has the "fisheries endorsement".
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Thanks Mike, your Doc. Could be useful when I try to go Coastwise.
The Albin I am looking at was never documented, hence the problem now.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Use me I'm good with it!
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal