• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Name Boards

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Name Boards

Post by Nepidae »

To all;

I saw, and I forget where, here or MTOA, that someone had mentioned wanting name boards for their boat.

I wanted to relay, no remuneration involved, the great job that I had done on name boards for Nepidae. I can supply pictures if you are interested (send me an email) in seeing the outcome of mine.

They were done by Robert Guth (robaguth@aol.com) and I was able to pick the shape, the wood and stain and font (type of letters used) and he was able to provide a mockup for me to approve before they were made.

A very professional job and they were priced reasonably, forget the exact amount.

If you are looking for name boards, I can't recommend this business highly enough.

P.S. - I think he does other wood work as well.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Name Boards

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I did my own name boards on mahogany using a freehand router. I used "Freestyle Script" font in Word for ease of carving with a router, printed out full size and traced onto the wood with carbon paper. Then finished with varnish over epoxy, and painted the letters with gold paint. Cost of the mahogany boards was $40 at "Woodworker's Source" specialty store in Phoenix, plus varnish and epoxy which was also used to finish hand rails and hatches. In the 2nd photo those pipes laying on the side deck are the mast and boom for my sailing dinghy.

To attach the name boards I used a piece of thin plywood as a template, then drilled pilot holes for s/s wood screws in the corners through the template. Then used the template to drill holes through the wheelhouse walls from the inside to match the holes in the boards. Would have liked to center the boards in relation to the windows, but things on the inside were in the way, like the helm station. Then sealed the perimeter of the boards with white polysulfide caulk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nepidae »

Nice looking job and your first photo shows a plethora of tools available to do the job.

My post was aimed at those who don't have a wood shop handy or the time or desire to do it themselves.

The business I dealt with was very professional and provided an excellent product and as I remember at a reasonable price. I think that needs a mention when someone is looking for a product.

Have a great day.
Calm seas,

Charles

m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

My post was aimed at those who don't have a wood shop handy or the time or desire to do it themselves.
I can understand that. I was extremely lucky when I met my wife in 2005 not long after she was widowed. All these tools belonged her late husband who had been a piano tuner and rebuilder before he passed away after losing his battle with Leukemia. We kid each other that I married her for her shop full of tools.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

There is also someone who posted in the for sale thread who does carved name boards.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8400

They look nice to me and IF I had seen them last summer I would have gone that way.

I made my own going the "non woodworker route". Two pieces of Mahogany that my woodworking boat neighbor routed the edges on, and we applied a name decal to each, then varnished over. This is how we made the previous ones, but the wood was pine and they were mounted flush to the fiberglass. Water got behind them and rotted the wood.
The new ones have standoffs (o rings) so there is air space behind them so they can dry out and breathe. Hopefully they will last longer.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nepidae »

Yes, the boards in your link came from the same guy who did mine, refer to my post above.

As a matter of fact, the name boards Nepidae are the ones for our boat.

He does a great job, and as illustrated, has a great range of forms he can come up with to meet anyone's needs.

I fully endorse his product.

Bob did suggest that I use a 'glue' to mount our boards BUT also to put a bead along the top, to stop water intrusion, but I think I am following the standoff option when we mount ours. I also thought I would put the screw/bolt holes on the center of the stars but Bob suggested the corners which I will follow, keep from warping.

Can't wait for the cover to come off.
Calm seas,

Charles

m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Im glad you were happy with his work! I've been considering getting a full transom peice made but it will take some convincing with the wife:/. Life got out of hand and I never got him the measurements and such for a quote...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I am thinking of getting one to hang above the fireplace at home in our nautical room
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
markdbecker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Higgins Lake, Michigan

Post by markdbecker »

Thanks Nepidae for your post. Got my name-boards yesterday in the mail. Robert Guth (Bob) and wife did a awesome job on them. Also to the La Dolce Vita on the best way to mount them..........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ticaboo
1970 Albin 25 series 2 #575
Yanmar 3GM30F
Residence: Jackson, Michigan
Homeport: Higgins Lake, Michigan & beyond
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

I just got my name boards from Robert Guth (Bob) robaguth@aol.com also. In Walnut with gold inlay 18” x 5” I think.
He copied the existing hand painted transom lettering and send a mock up prior for my review. Was great to work with and quick. Highly recommend.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Wow, those are awesome! Ask him what kind of gold paint he used. I've had trouble getting the acrylic gold craft paint I used on mine to last. Walnut is nice. I used Mahogany for mine, finished with varnish over two coats of West System epoxy resin.
DSCN2058.JPG
For what it's worth, the way I attached mine to the wheelhouse was with short s/s pan head screws from the inside. I took a piece of thin 1/4 inch ply to make a pattern/template for screw holes, used those to locate drill holes thru the wheelhouse side walls from inside & drill matching pilot holes in the backs of the name boards. I wanted to center them more on the sides of the wheelhouse but found that was not possible due to things being in the way. But at least if I need to remove them for refinishing they can easily be taken off & put back on. Then once the name boards were screwed in place I caulked the outside edges around the boards with white polysulfite caulk.

As an aside, I've never been able to figure out what those Swedish accent marks are all about, & how that's supposed to affect pronunciation, like the back slash through the 'O' or the little circles above 'A' and others.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “General Discussion”